March 2006

ADA Meeting - March 30, 2006

 

Members Present: John Baxter, Jeffery Branstetter, Amy Bones, Teresa Lynch, Amy Matthews, Mark Panning, Wade Pearson, Cathy Pedersen, Lennis Pederson, Stacy Peitz, Rich Rossi

 

Unable to Attend: Barb Brock, Whitney Douglas, Barbara Flynn, Ann Ryan Haddad, Andrea Jahn, Georgian Lee, John Pierce

 

Minutes: The February 23, 1006 meeting minutes were approved by Rich Rossi and seconded by Terri Lynch.

 

Lennis Pederson informed the Committee that the number of handicapped parking spaces west of the Criss complex was being reviewed. The objective is to add more handicapped parking stalls. The additional stalls may lead to a re-configuration of other parking in the area.

 

The Committee was informed about a start up project to develop a conceptual design of the California Mall from 21st street east to Morrison Soccer Stadium. The conceptual plan will be further reviewed at the April meeting.

 

Lennis Pederson will set up a meeting for the Committee to review the Living and Learning Center plans. The Committee should anticipate a notice from Deb McAtee.

 

Lennis Pederson will be reviewing the membership roster to begin filling vacancies and changing the membership with new faculty.

 

Mark Panning updated the Committee on the possibility of Cisco Systems presenting new accessible technology. The goal is to have the presentation on campus but it may need to be at the Cisco branch office in Omaha.

 

Cathy Pedersen reported that the staff at University College has received the idea of an ADA awareness presentation to faculty and staff. There are open dates in January 2007 through March 2007 that could be used for the presentation period. Cathy and Barb Brock are beginning to develop the presentation. The side benefit of this effort might be an on-line presentation for faculty and staff. The presentation might be 90 minutes long as compared to the three hour model now in place. It was agreed that the better option would be the March time frame. Amy Bones and Mark Panning volunteered to help with the presentation.

 

Rich Rossi reviewed the concept of an ADA Awareness brochure with the Committee. The goal is to articulate to employees about their accessibility rights and privileges. Wade Pearson will forward a similar brochure prepared for students. Jeff Branstetter will aid Rich in the language and will help develop a attracting title for the handout. It is hoped by the Committee that this question and answer presentation can be attached to the ADA web site.

 

Stacy Peitz reports that the SEN video production about architectural barriers on campus was progressing. The video may be done in April. The group has the volunteer help of Mr. Scott Grove who himself has accessibility limits but still produces videos professionally. Mr. Grove is expected to be a guest of the April ADA Committee meeting.

 

Wade Pearson informed the Committee his sub-committee planning the October 5 symposium was will engaged. The exact theme is still being formulated but planned already are work shops each presented twice:

1. An attorney will refresh knowledge and offer updates on a few key points of the law

2. Scott Chadwick will provide faculty training sessions to discuss diversity and universal design.

3. The Counseling Center will present on relevant topics

4. Two or three Creighton graduates will present about their accessibility situations now encounter in the work place.

5. The Student Empowerment Network desires to participate at a level being clarified by Stacy

Rich Rossi has reserved the Ballroom and rooms 104 and 105 for the day. The event could be from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm. A keynote speaker to present during a luncheon is being considered.

 

Lennis Pederson briefly reviewed his recent presentation to the Academic Council about the ADA Committee. The handout given the council was distributed to the Committee members.

 

Lennis Pederson advised the Committee that an architect had been retained to survey the campus for architectural barriers. The survey would be accomplished in the next few weeks. It is hoped that each Committee member can participate for apart of the tour to give the architect as much information that is collectively known.

 

Wade Pearson reaffirmed that Kathy Taggart is expected to inform the Committee about grant possibilities at the April meeting.

 

The meeting adjourned at 10:27 AM.

 

The next meeting is scheduled for April 27, 2006 in the Swanson Hall Technology Room.

 

 

 

Future meeting dates:

May 25, 2006

June 29, 2006

July 27, 2006

August 31, 2006