June 2008

ADA Meeting - June 24, 2008

 

Members Present(X):

Present

Member

Present

Member

X

John Baxter

 

Andrea Jahn

X

Jeff Branstetter

 

Stephanie Kokesh

X

Amy Bones

 

Mei Li Kwong

 

Barb Brock

X

Laura Mann

 

Lee Budesheim

X

Amy Matthews

X

Roselyn Cerutis

 

Mark Panning

X

Kathryn Clark

X

Wade Pearson

 

Jim Howell-Burke

X

Lennis Pederson

X

Sara Grawe

 

John Pierce

 

Scott Grove

X

Rich Rossi

 

Lennis Pederson declared a quorum and convened the meeting.

 

Minutes: The May 27, 2008 meeting minutes were accepted with the change to eliminate the reference of declaring a quorum.

 

Amy Bones informed the committee about the approval progress of the pending legislation to expand the coverage of the ADA bill. The disabilities covered by the bill are becoming more clearly defined as information becomes available. People who have mitigated the effects of their impairments with medication or assistive devices should not be excluded from coverage. Mitigating measures is being defined as "any treatment, medication, device, or other measure used to eliminate, mitigate, or compensate for the effect of an impairment, and includes prescriptions and other medications, personal aids and devices, reasonable accommodations, or auxiliary aids and services." The Law applies to all public employers, private employer with 15 or more employees, employment agencies, and labor organizations.

 

Mark Panning reported that the Grants task force has not received positive information about the Microsoft funds so will look for other grant opportunities.

 

The Committee discussed Discovery Day;

1. The event will be September 19 from 2:00pm top 4:pm. Lennis was asked to contact Wayne Morford about how the Wellness Committee and the Wellness office could be involved. Wayne was also to be asked about using the KFC Gym for the event so exposure could be heightened. (Later, Wayne agreed to the space)

2. The theme should be directed toward creating a level of acceptance and appreciation for those individuals with impairments.

3. Amy Matthews has accepted a leadership role in the event and will work with Stephanie Koekesh and SEN to develop the activities for the event. An effort to develop activities that concern cognitive disorders will be pursued.

4. Amy is certain that the equipment in the Occupational and Physical Therapy classrooms could be available for the event.

5. At this time, the event is being sponsored by SEN and the ADA Committee but there may be sponsorship by Wellness.

6. The intended audience is Creighton students but the OT/PT students will be encouraged to invite others. Laura Mann has identified Catholic High Schools in the area and is contemplating inviting the interested high school students to the event.

7. There remains in the plan the idea of awarding an ice cream cone to those individuals that complete a series of activities presented at the event.

8. Kathryn Clark will help with Publicity as the time approaches

 

Lennis said that he had not followed up with Lisa Calvert about her acknowledgement of having a major gifts officer on the committee. Ms Calvert is in agreement with the idea.

 

Wade said that the division of Health Sciences has embraced the proposal to augment the class syllabi with an accommodation statement. The acceptance of the concept by the division has been invigorating. Wade will meet with the Academic Vice President and the new Dean of Arts and Science soon to garner their acceptance of the program.

 

Wade did not have an update the task of developing an on line training program.

 

Mark told the group about the number of hits on the ADA website. From April 27,'08, to June 23,'08, there had been 1410 contacts. Mark will send a more detailed report via e-mail to the Committee. Mark said that he had not posted the wheel chair icon on the front page of the University's website. He will work with his team to get this accomplished.

 

Lennis informed the Committee that Facilities Management was developing the new campus map for the University public affairs. The map is expected to be available for use in late July. The method of listing the names of the buildings is being revised to a more navigatible presentation.

 

Meeting adjourned at 11:48 A.M.

 

The next meeting is scheduled for July 29, 2008 in the Swanson Hall south conference room.