February 2009

ADA Meeting - February 24, 2009

 

Members Present(X):

Present

Member

Present

Member

X

John Baxter

 

Mei Li Kwong

 

Amy Bones

X

Laura Mann

X

Jeff Branstetter

X

Amy Matthews

 

Lee Budesheim

X

Mark Panning

 

Roselyn Cerutis

X

Wade Pearson

X

Kathryn Clark

X

Lennis Pederson

 

Katherine Hatfield

X

John Pierce

 

Jim Howell-Burke

X

Rich Rossi

 

Andrea Jahn

X

Jessica Royal

 

Stephanie Kokesh

 

 

 

Minutes: The minutes from the January 27, 2009 meeting were approved by Rich Rossi and seconded by Jeff Branstetter.

 

Symposium

The Committee discussed the March 18th symposium. Each member is asked to contribute $50 dollars toward the cost of the luncheon being served at the symposium. Rich Rossi will negotiate for a good price per meal.

 

Committee members are encouraged to invite colleagues from off campus. It is understood that an RSVP will be required form attendees to confirm the size of the lunch.

 

Advertizing for the symposium will be lead by Kathryn Clark. The members are encouraged to spread the work to on campus constituents to increase the size of the audience.

 

Mark Panning has arranged for video taping the presentations.

 

Academic Council

Lennis Pederson told the Committee that the annual report to the Academic Council was ell received. The council did not have any questions or comments.

 

NEOC Presentation

John Pierce has arranged a presentation by Ms Ann Hobbs with the NEOC. Ms Hobbs will speak on the enhanced ADA law. The program is tentatively scheduled for the morning of April 15th. John will have more details in the weeks ahead.

 

Tours

John Pierce will try to arrange a tour for the Committee of the new building that Metro Community College built in south Omaha. The building is reported to be constructed beyond the compliance requirements of the ADA. Lennis Pederson will arrange a tour of the Skutt Student Center. Further, a July tour of the Ryan Center will be scheduled.

 

Handicapped Parking

John Baxter spoke about his experiences as a volunteer writer of citations for those vehicles illegally parked in handicapped parking stalls. John only writes warning tickets for vehicles parked illegally on campus. He writes 2-3 tickets each month as a volunteer trained by the city. The city requires volunteers to complete about a six hour training exercise before tickets can be issued. John is available to answer questions about the program or his experiences should a committee member desire.

 

The Committee asked Lennis to write Public Safety a request to increase surveillance and ticket writing for those vehicles parked illegally in handicapped parking stalls on campus.

 

Members of the Committee mentioned that they have observed several violators.

 

Brochure

The committee decided that the ADA Committee brochure printed a few years ago should be updated. The members presented several ideas. It was agreed that Kathryn Clark would begin an e-mail conversation with the membership to get the ideas documented for further discussion at the March meeting.

 

Survey

Amy Matthews lead discussion about having a follow up survey of the campus community. The previous survey was taken a few years back. The intent of the new survey is to note any improvements. The new survey will be done on line some time in the last two weeks of April. Amy will lead the team conducting the survey.

 

The meeting adjourned at 11:57 AM.

 

The next meeting will be 11:00 AM on March 31, 2009 in the south conference room in Swanson Hall.