6. John A. Creighton, Edward’s younger brother, was born in 1831 in Ohio. After working for his brother, which first brought him to Nebraska in 1856, John enjoyed success as a businessman in Montana in the 1860s. He returned to Omaha to marry Sarah Emily Wareham (b. 1840), a younger sister of Mary Lucretia Creighton, in June 1868. He emerged as a leading figure in the Omaha community — he was one of the organizers of the Omaha stockyards — with business interests across several states. John Creighton was named a Knight of the Holy Roman Empire by Pope Leo XIII in 1895 for his philanthrophic support of Creighton University and other Catholic works.
7. Creighton Hall (formerly known as the Administration Building) incorporates the school’s original building, which was completed in August 1878. It has undergone several expansions, including one in 1930 that added the distinctive art deco limestone façade that became the building’s main entrance. More than 35 Jesuits live in Creighton Hall, which also houses classrooms and several offices, including the Office of the President.
8. The first part of the Creighton Observatory, a brick round house with a revolving dome, was constructed in 1886, while the rectangular transit room was finished the following year. The one-story building received a makeover in 1910 when the extension of 24th Street cut away part of the hill on which the observatory was located.
9. Sarah Emily Creighton’s desire for Creighton students to have a proper place to worship resulted in St. John’s Collegiate Chapel, dedicated May 6, 1888. The creation of St. John’s Parish in January 1897 meant that the church could conduct baptisms, weddings and funerals. A series of expansions between 1920 and 1922 doubled the church’s capacity, but it was not until 1977 that the east tower received a steeple and hands for its clock.
10. With the establishment of the John A. Creighton Medical College in 1892, Creighton became a university in the true sense of the word. The medical school was affiliated with the newly constructed “Creighton Memorial St. Joseph’s Hospital” — named in honor of Sarah Emily Creighton The Medical College’s first permanent home, funded by John A. Creighton, opened in 1895 at the corner of 14th and Davenport streets. Visit the School of Medicine website.