Universal waste recycling

Recycling hazardous items

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has declared several types of hazardous waste to be universal waste.  The rule is designed to reduce hazardous waste in the municipal solid waste (MSW) stream by making it easier for universal waste handlers like Creighton to collect these items and send them for recycling or proper disposal.


What does this mean for Creighton?

The items listed below can not be put into the regular trash here at Creighton.

Help us prevent improper disposal of waste material.  Fill out a request with Facilities Management or contact EH&S to help you with your recycling needs.

Please note that we are unable to accept these items from home.   We have summarized several options for disposing of household hazardous items in Omaha.  Please note that there is often a charge for recycling electronics.

Remember, these items must not be thrown into the dumpster:

COMPUTERS and ELECTRONICS.  Any of the following items is legally defined as universal waste and must be recycled.  This includes (but is not limited to) computers, keyboards, mice, monitors, TVs, VCRs/DVD players, etc.  Instructions are here for having your electronic equipment removed. There is no charge for this service.

RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES  Creighton recycles rechargeable batteries and cellphones.  These batteries can be found in many types of items, such as laptop computers, cameras, tools, etc.  Another item you might not have considered is the UPS (battery-backup) for your computer.  If your department uses quite a few batteries of this sort, we can provide you with a box for your department.  If you are only generating one or two at a time, please give them to a Facilities Management employee or seal it in a plastic bag and mail it to Mary Duda in EH&S.   (What about alkaline batteries?)

Our batteries are recycled by:

Call 2 Recycle


AEROSOL CANS  Aerosol cans are considered to be hazardous waste in Nebraska , due to their possible reactivity, even when they are empty.  Therefore, we must collect these and dispose of them properly.  This includes any aerosol cans you might use in the course of your work, including such items as "canned air" that is used for cleaning computers, cleaning products, air fresheners, etc. Please give these cans to your custodians to dispose of properly.  If you will be generating quite a bit of these cans, let us know and we can provide you with the proper can for disposal.  More information can be found in our Aerosol Can Disposal policy.

MERCURY-CONTAINING ITEMS, including thermometers, thermostats, and manometers must be given to Mary Duda for proper disposal.

FLUORESCENT BULBS and other bulbs that are not regular incandescent bulbs need to be recycled as well.  Please contact us to be sure before you throw away any light-bulb that is not incandescent.

Please contact Environmental Health and Safety for more information.