Earth Day 2013
- Giveaways! Shopping bags, eco-friendly pens, and more!
- Vote for the Campus Tree of the Year and learn about Creighton's quest to become an arboretum
- Drop off your old and unused pens for recycling
- Information on recycling at Creighton including a display of recyclable items
- The world-famous popcorn machine
- Clothing drive
- Bike sale
- Stormwater awareness information
Wednesday, April 17 from 11 am - 1 pm outside on the mall, weather permitting. Inside by the Skutt Fireplace if the weather does not cooperate.
Please join us in the Jesuit Gardens on Wednesday, April 17th at 4:00 pm, for the Multi-faith Earth Day prayer service. A variety of religious traditions will be celebrating God's creation together behind St. John's! All are welcome!
Each year, the Energy Awareness Committee sponsors events for Earth Day, which is April 22.
Earth Day will be celebrated April 17, 2013, in conjunction with Fr. Lannon's All-University Interfaith Prayer Service.
In 2003, the group moved around from building to building on campus, spreading the message.
In 2004, the group spent a few hours each day for the week leading up to Earth Day at a table in the Skutt Student Center. There was information on water conservation and electricity saving, among others. We had a prize drawing, free popcorn, and giveaways including rulers, flower seeds, etc.
For 2005, we concentrated on having a celebration for most of the day on Earth Day itself. This year's table included Jeff from Presto-X, our extermination company, talking about the "green" methods they use on campus (Jeff will be back for 2006!), a hybrid Honda from Performance Honda of Omaha, and of course our popcorn machine!
In 2006, we had several different speakers, a snazzy display about recycling made by the staff at the library, and fabulous camouflage t-shirts.
We were back in the Student Center on April 20, 2007. Information included
Two films about renewable energy resources shown throughout the day.
- Ray Madej, landscape foreman at Creighton University, was available to talk about landscaping and environmentally friendly treatments for your lawn and garden.
- Also, Duane Baker of Echo Lighting Group was on hand to talk about how to save energy in your home. He had compact fluorescent light bulbs to give to the first 200 people who visit the Energy Awareness booth.
- Steve Ward will give a presentation on Creighton’s recycling program as it currently stands and how it will be growing in the near future.
In 2009, we were back on the student center and on the mall. Presentations by OPPD, alternate-energy vehicles, and more highlighted the day!