Presentations (Skutt 104)
7:45-8:30 a.m. Renewable Energy Project (Skutt 105)
9-10 a.m. Rainbird Sprinkler System Presentation
10-11 a.m. OPPD Presentation on their energy master plan and energy saving tips
11:30 - 12:30 Robert Byrnes, Nebraska's Mr. Energy
12:30 -1 p.m. Earth Day Prayer, Steps of St. John's Church
3-5 p.m. Employee Electronics Recycling Event
Lenten Creation Stewardship 2011
Looking for something different this Lent? Try the Lenten Creation Stewardship reflections provided by the Archdiocese of Washington.
Earth Day 2011
April 20, 2011 in the Skutt Student Center
Or on the mall, weather permitting!
9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
- Bike Play Day
- Reusable shopping bag giveaway
- Carpool information from MetrO! Rideshare and MAPA
- Vote for the Campus Tree of the Year and learn about Creighton's quest to become an arboretum
- Sign the Sustainability Pledge
- Drop off your old and unused pens for recycling
- Echo Lighting's display of LED and other energy-saving light bulbs
- Information on recycling at Creighton including a display of recyclable items
- The world-famous popcorn machine
- Facilities Management's own electric truck
- Information from Keep Omaha Beautiful
- OPPD will talk about sustainable energy from 9-10 am in Skutt 104
- The announcement of the Residence Hall energy conservation contest
- Sodexo will be completing a food waste audit all week
- Learn about Creighton's Greenhouse Gas Inventory
- Electronics recycling for employees
- Weighing the Waste in Brandeis and Becker -- We will have scales on hand to weigh the waste and a chart where we will be tracking it for the four days (April 18-21).
Robert Byrnes Presentation
Robert Byrnes, Nebraska's Mr Energy, will present at 11:30 on Apr 20 in Skutt 104. This article will give you much more information but know that Mr Byrnes has developed the technology on his farm to essentially be off the energy grid. He generates electricity and fuel to conduct his daily life and enterprises.
Having Mr Byrnes present will likely be of interest to many environmental clubs, environmental science students, students of alternative energy and those interested in sustainability. Please share this information with those you know might wish to attend.
Earth Day Prayer
The Campus Ministry Interns will lead a Prayer Service honoring and praying for all of God's created world.
Where: Jesuit Gardens (New Location!)
CU Cycling! Bike Play Day
- Greensprint Cycle racing on the mall provided by Greenstreet Cycles
- Bicycle Safety/Repair by Community Bike Project Omaha
- Pedaling: A Path to the Good Life presented on the half-hour by Peter Pellerito
- Cycling Skill Demo by Kelly from The Bike Rack
- Trek FX+ Electric Ride Assist Bike from the Trek Bicycle Shop
- Metro Bus with bike rack demo
- Refurbished bikes for sale
- Exercise Science and CU Wellness
Employee Electronics Recycling
Got electronics in your home that you'd like to dispose of in a safe, environmentally friendly manner? Lifespan Technology Recycling, Creighton's vendor, is hosting a recycling event for Creighton's faculty and staff here on campus. For a nominal fee, your electronics will be destroyed and recycled. This flier describes the benefits of recycling your electronics properly, including the fact that your data will be destroyed -- no need to wipe your hard-drive beforehand. Did you know that 10 computers can generate as much as 250 pounds of glass, plastic and metals? More information about what will happen to your old electronics is on this flier.
The price list is here. LifeSpan accepts cash, check, and major credit cards (other than Discover).
Simply bring your electronics (computers and their equipment, TVs, VCRs, etc) to work with you on April 20 and drop them off with LifeSpan.
Time: April 20, 3-5 p.m.
Location: Parking lot 19 (map here), 21st and Cuming Streets
Renewable Energy Project -- Breakfast Bytes
You might have noticed the wind turbines on the Lied Performing Arts Center lawn or the solar panels in the parking lot near Cuming Street. Do you wonder what they are doing there and how they can help Creighton be a more sustainable campus?
Please join Dr. Michael Cherney as he discusses this alternative form of energy
Time: 7:45 a.m. – 8:30 a.m.
Location: Skutt Student Center, room 105
Breakfast Bytes are short technology presentations covering the technology you have in your office, on your computer, or in your classroom. You can enjoy a cup of coffee, donut or muffin, and a breakfast byte of technology. This is an easy, no cost way to increase your understanding of technology.
Refreshments will be served! No RSVP is needed.
- WEDNESDAYS AFTER CLASS (1-3 p.m. on the mall):
- Decorate a FREE Flower Pot and Lemon Bars (Yum!)
- We will have FREE seeds and soil for you to plant your own flowers
- There will also be the opportunity to write Global Climate Change legislative letters
- Sponsored by the CSU Program Board
- Sidewalk chalk pledge promise--Color your sustainability pledge on the sidewalk (to take a picture, documenting student interest in sustainability initiatives on campus) TUESDAY, APRIL 19, 11 am - 2 pm Sponsored by the GreenJays
PB&J Day in the Dining Halls
In honor of Earth Day, Sodexo will be offering several different options of PB&J. Did you know that eating a PB&J will save the equivalent of 2.5 pounds of carbon dioxide over a traditional animal-based lunch? More information here.
One of Creighton's ZipCars will be parked on the mall. Come learn more about how to check one out, how they are environmentally friendly, and more!
MUD's Compressed Natural Gas (CNG)-powered car