For Zipcar members 21 years of age or older, Zipcar insurance coverage consists of a combined single limit of $300,000 per accident, meaning that all third party bodily injuries, or property damage costs relating to the accident are covered in the aggregate up to $300,000.
For drivers under 21, Zipcar provides coverage at state-mandated minimum levels. In Nebraska, the required liability limits are $25,000 for bodily injury liability per person in an accident; $50,000 for all bodily injuries in an accident; and $25,000 for property damage in an accident. Zipcars are covered under a vehicle collision policy.
For both third party or vehicle damage claims, the member is responsible for a damage fee of up to $500 to cover repairs if the accident is his or her fault, or if no fault is assigned. Members age 21+ have the option to purchase a damage fee waiver to reduce that amount to $250, or to eliminate it altogether.
Zipcar provides Personal Injury Protection (PIP), or "no-fault" coverage, at statutory limits for its members if they are injured in an accident. Members may also use their own health care coverage in case of injury.
If the total amount of the injuries and/or property damage exceeds Zipcar’s coverage limits, Zipcar members are responsible for this excess and will be contacted by either Zipcar, its insurance provider or the insurance company representing another driver involved in the accident. You are encouraged to check your personal automobile insurance policy or with your insurance agent to determine if your coverage will apply on an excess basis.
Members engaging in prohibited uses of Zipcars are not covered by Zipcar-provided insurance. You are not covered as a Zipcar member in any vehicle not supplied by Zipcar. A non-member driving a Zipcar is not covered by Zipcar-provided insurance as well. Zipcar will revoke membership if it learns about unauthorized use.
If you have any concerns about the insurance coverage Zipcar provides and whether it works for your personal situation, we encourage you to consult with a licensed agent or contact Zipcar at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The use of a Zipcar vehicle under the following conditions is prohibited:
- any speed race, competition, or timely delivery of goods;
- for the purpose of towing, pushing, or propelling any trailer or any other vehicle;
- for the primary business purpose of transporting people or operating a taxi service;
- by any person who is under the influence of (i) alcohol or (ii) any drug or medication under the effects of which the operation of a vehicle is prohibited or not recommended;
- in the carrying out of any crime or any other illegal activity; in an imprudent or abusive manner or for any abnormal use of this vehicle; or
- by any person who has provided Zipcar with false information or whose representations are determined to be false (including, without limitation, regarding his name, age, or address).