Parents as "Career Coaches"
Dear Creighton Parents:
Since most young adults begin exploring careers in college, the link between students, parents, and career centers may be a more valuable link than once thought. Research demonstrates that parents’ comments, beliefs, and interactions with their children may have a significant impact on their career development. The Creighton Career Center feels it is important to make parents aware of career information and resources available to students so that you may encourage your student to get engaged in the career planning process.
Whether your child is a freshman or senior, is looking for a job or going to graduate school, your student will be well-served by attending a variety of career workshops and events offered by the Creighton Career Center this spring semester. As the job market tightens and becomes more competitive, students will benefit by attending our events and participating in programs such as on-campus interviewing.
Each of the following workshops and events are held in the Career Center, Suite 2015, in the Harper Center for Student Life and Learning unless otherwise noted.
- Career Center “Cram Sessions” – offered from Jan. 26-30 at 3:30 and 5:00 p.m. daily
- Professional Etiquette Dinner – Feb. 4 & 5 at 5:30 p.m. (Harper Center Ballroom)
- “How to Work a Career Fair” – Feb. 16 at 4:00 p.m.
- Law School Information Session – Feb. 17 at 3:30 p.m.
- Spring Career & Internship Fair – Feb. 18 from 11:00-3:00 p.m. (Harper Center Ballroom)
- Resume Workshop – Feb. 19 at 5:00 p.m.
- Interviewing Workshop – Feb. 20 at 3:30 p.m.
- Job & Internship Search Workshop – Feb. 23 at 3:30 p.m.
- Resume Workshop – Feb. 24 at 5:00 p.m.
- Interviewing Workshop – Feb. 25 at 5:00 p.m.
- Job & Internship Search Workshop – Feb. 26 at 5:00 p.m.
- Applying to Graduate School Workshop – Feb. 27 at 3:30 p.m.
- Nebraska Statewide Collegiate eFair – virtual career fair held April 1-30
Lastly, encourage your students to make an appointment with a career counselor in the Career Center for career assessments, career and academic advising, job and internship search assistance, resume and cover letter assistance, mock interviews, and other career services.
Thank you for your role as “career coaches” for your student. If you’d like to contact the Creighton Career Center for more information, please call (402) 280-2723.
Jeremy Fisher, PHR
Creighton Career Center