How to 'Work' a Career Fair
Career Fairs can be overwhelming events for some people. How can you benefit most from a career information day? Here are some suggestions:
- Introduce yourself to each employer in a positive and confident manner. Smile, project enthusiasm, and offer a firm handshake to create a winning first impression.
- Collect business cards, brochures, and make any notes you need to keep track of organizations you talked to.
- Remember, this is your chance to make a lasting impression. Ask the employer questions, offer your resume, and thank them for their time.
- Possible questions for recruiters might be:
- What are the chief qualifications you seek in a first-year employee?
- Describe your organization's training program.
- Do you offer internships and, if so, in what areas?
- Do you offer reimbursements?
- What advice would you give to someone seeking employment in my career field?
- Although you are seeking ________ candidates today, do you ever have a need for ________ candidates?
- What trends or changes do you anticipate within the next 4-5 years?
- Ask the recruiter questions based on your previous research of the company.
- If time allows, expand your list to include other employers even if they weren't included in your field of interest. Even if they do not have positions in your field, networking with recruiters may lead to some excellent referrals.