Application and Admission Requirements
Once you are ready to complete the online application, click here.
Submit Materials To:
Eppley Building B11
Attention: Valerie Mattix
2500 California Plaza
Omaha, Nebraska 68178 USA
Phone number: 402-280-2424
Fax number: 402-280-2423
2015 Application Deadlines
Applications are accepted year-round. The chart below shows specific application deadlines for enrolling in specific semesters.
Start Date (Semester)
June 8, 2015 (Summer Term 1)
July 13, 2015 (Summer Term 2)
May 1, 2015
August 26, 2015 (Fall)
July 1, 2015
January 13, 2016 (Spring)
December 1, 2015
*International students: in general, please submit your application 3 months in advance of your intended start date to ensure your visa approval
1. Submit your completed online application as well as all required documentation below (via the online application).
2. After a review of your application, you will be notified whether or not you have been accepted into the program.
3. For international students: once accepted, you will be contacted by Creighton's Office of International Programs (OIP). They will help you begin applying for your F-1 visa and getting your Form I-20. Upon completion of your visa application, OIP will FedEx these documents directly to you in your home country at the address you provided in your application. You should take these original documents with you to your visa interview at the nearest U.S. Consulate. If you have any questions regarding scheduling a visa interview, please contact OIP.
- Completed online application and $50 USD non-refundable application fee (click here).
- Current Résumé
- Statement of Purpose: A personal essay of 500-750 words specifically describing the applicant's goals and purpose for pursuing graduate study in East-West Studies at Creighton as well as the intended choice of track. Please note that a good Statement of Purpose will not just be a rewording of a CV nor a discussion about one's plans for investing time and effort into one's studies. It should look to the future beyond one's graduate studies and incorporate one's graduate studies as a building block to one's future.
- Writing Sample such as a research paper, persuasive essay, writing assignment or project, exam, academic article, etc.
- Official Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended (no photocopies accepted, transcripts must be sent directly from the issuing school and must contain the institution's official seal or stamp; transcripts in a language other than English must be accompanied by certified English translations). A 3.0/4.0 GPA or higher is required for unconditional acceptance into the program. Students not meeting this requirement may be accepted provisionally.
- Three Letters of Recommendation completed and submitted by persons other than family members who are capable of assessing the applicant's performance in an academic or work setting, preferably undergraduate/graduate faculty and/or colleagues. Letters of recommendation should include details and specific examples regarding the capacity in which the recommender knows the applicant. The applicant should use the online recommendation process in the online application to request a recommender to officially submit his/her letter of recommendation regarding the applicant.
Additional Admission Requirements for International Students:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): All international applicants from countries in which English is not the primary language must demonstrate proficiency in the English language by submitting a minimum TOEFL score of 80 iBT (213 CBT/550PBT) (the equivalent of a score of 6.5 on IELTS). Scores submitted must be current within the last two calendar years. International applicants who receive their baccalaureate or higher degree from an accredited institution in the US, UK, Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand or Africa (English-speaking only) are NOT required to submit a TOEFL or IELTS score report. When taking the TOEFL exam, Creighton's School/Institutional Code is 6121.
- Personal Interview: An interview may be requested after the application has been submitted and prior to one's acceptance into the program. This interview could take place in a variety of ways (e.g. Skype, video call, phone call, in person).
- The GRE is not required, but Creighton University reserves the right to request GRE scores or a personal interview.
- Although some factors are more important than others, all factors are considered. A low rating on some may be balanced by high ratings on others.
- Additional attachments may be submitted to strengthen your application by providing evidence of your scholastic potential (e.g. awards, honors, scholarships).
- Any evidence that shows the above-mentioned requirements have been faked, forged, or plagiarized in any way will result in rejection from the program.
- Only those applicants who meet the established standards above will be recommended for admission.
- Creighton University's Office of International Programs will handle all visa-related inquiries for prospective and incoming international students.