Resources for Students

Live Social Science

CSS is conducting a "live survey" exhibit in our conference room around the theme of vulnerable populations asking department disciplines to showcase how the discipline can or has addressed the topic. Our Sociology and Anthropology Capstone students identified 10 topical issues for investigation by four of our department programs: Sociology, Anthropology, Social Work, and Justice and Peace Studies. Each discipline will be participating in the survey using color coded responses to the identify their input. This semester long project is an opportunity for students in the department to critically think about how they contribute to the world around us.

Department Location

Main Office, Creighton Hall


Ms. Angela Batson

Office Coordinator

Department Chair, Creighton Hall


Dr. Laura Heinemann

Contact for appointments

Frequently Asked Questions

I want/need an override! For all programs in this department, override requests must be submitted via email to the instructor of the course you would like to take. If and when her/his approval is issued, we will enter the override exception into NEST and send you an email that the exception is entered and you may now register for the course in question. If the instructor is listed as TBD, please send your request to our Department Chair.

Who do I talk to about Study AbroadAll study abroad course requests are approved by our Department Chair. Please contact her to make an appointment and/or to ask any questions.

I want to take a course at another university. Will it count? All transient study courses must be approved by both the Department Chair and the College of Arts and Sciences Dean's Office. You must obtain the syllabus of the course at the institute of higher education where you plan on taking the course and submit that with your Transient Study form to our Department Chair. Transient Study forms are available in the College of Arts and Sciences office, Eppley 212.

I want to change my major to one in your department. Who do I talk to? You have multiple resources available to you. The faculty in our department are happy to talk to you about the courses and time needed to complete a major in our department. Email or call the professor who is in the major you are interested in pursuing. Furthermore, your current advisor, EDGE advisors, or the Career Center can help you figure out the major that best aligns with what you are passionate about learning and the skills you enjoy utilizing.

I am under the MAGIS core. How do I know which of your courses apply for the major and the core? Course designations and approvals are happening on an ongoing basis. All advisers will receive these updates as they become available. Please contact your adviser or the professor instructing the course in question to ensure you complete your core and major requirements.

I want to do research and CURAS sent me to the professor. What do I do now? Faculty are happy to talk to you about research possibilities in our various programs. We recommend that you take an Introductory course in the field, Social and Cultural Theory (301), and/or Quantitative Research Methods for Social Science (312), Quantitative Statistics for the Social Sciences (314), and/or Qualitative Research Methods (316). Social science research and in particular anthropological research requires working directly with the community. As such, it is imperative you are working on or already possess the research skills relevant to our disciplines.