Olaf Böhlke, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of German; Director Hitchcock Language Resource Center (1998-2013)
Please visit GPO online exercises with feedback
German Practice Online - Interactive Grammar Activities.
Modern Languages & Literatures
2500 California Plaza
Omaha, NE 68178
Phone: (402) 280-2505
Fax: (402) 280-3703
- Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI . Ph.D. German Studies.
Dissertation: "A Comparative Discourse Analysis of Output Produced by Learners of German in a Chatroom and Face-To-Face Discussion Group, and its Potential Implications for Foreign Language Instruction."
- Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ. M.A. German Literature.
Master Thesis: "Heroism and Intertextuality in Man in the Holocene." (Max Frisch).
- University of Tübingen, Germany. Zwischenprüfung (B.A.) Major: American Studies. Minors: English Literature and Modern History.
- Creighton University:
Contemporary German Literature after 1945
The German Novelle
The Multiplicity of German Culture: Cultural Differences & Marginality GER 568
Studies in Contemporary German: The Last 25 Years
Business German (GER 321)
Beginning and Intermediate German GER 201
Beginning and Intermediate Spanish, see SPN 102 and SPN 201
- Michigan State University:
Beginning and Intermediate German
GRM 202 special topic courses:
Foreigners in Germany
German Fairy Tales
German Short Stories
- Arizona State University:
Beginning and Intermediate German.
Publications, Reviews, and Translations
- "A Comparison of Student Participation Levels by Group Size and Language Stages During Chatroom and Face-To-Face Discussions in German," CALICO Journal 21.1 (2003).
- "Adjective Production by Learners of German in Chatroom and Face-To-Face Discussions." Die Unterrichtspraxis 36.1 (2003).
- Scholarly software review of VTrain. CALICO Journal (ISSN 0742-7778), available online (2003). URL: http://calico.org/CALICO_Review/review/vtrain00.htm .
- Lovik, Thomas and Böhlke, Olaf. CD-ROM Computer Modules for Assessing Socio-Cultural Competence in German. Center for Language, Education and Research. East Lansing, MI: Michigan State U. Board of Trustees. URL: http://clear.msu.edu/store/moreinfo.php?product_ID=24 (2001, 2002 update).
This CD-ROM program was reviewed by Donna C. Van Handle, Mount Holyoke College. URL: http://calico.org/CALICO_Review/review/clear00.htm (Overall evaluation 4 of 5).
- Translation into German of professional CALICO document: "Scholarly Activities in Computer-Assisted Language Learning: Development, Pedagogical Innovations, and Research" CALICO http://calico.org/CALL_document.html (2001).
- "Verb Production by Students of German in Chatroom and Face-to-Face Discussions" Computer Assisted Language Instruction Consortium (CALICO), University of Ottawa, Canada, May 20-24, 2003.
- "What did you learn in school today? Implications and Discussions of the PISA Study in German." European Studies Conference at University of Nebraska in Omaha, October 10-12, 2002.
- "Using Concept Maps for Modern Language Learning." Co-presenter with María Mena-Böhlke. Computer Assisted Language Instruction Consortium (CALICO), University of California at Davis, March 26-30, 2002.
- "On-line Chatroom Tools in Blackboard and WebCT." MidWest Association for Language Learning Technology (MWALLT), Luther College, Decorah, IA, October 19-20, 2001.
- "Examining Curricular Expectations: Student Performances in Intermediate German Class." A panel discussion made to American Council of Teachers of Foreign Languages (ACTFL), Boston, November 17--19, 2000.
- "The Influence of a graphically enhanced chatroom (authentic pictures; role-play; and props) on the discourse of learners in German." Computer Assisted Language Instruction Consortium (CALICO), University of Arizona in Tucson, May 30 - June 3, 2000 .
- "A Comparative Discourse Analysis of Output Produced by 63 Learners of German in a Chatroom and Face-to-Face Discussion Groups, and its Potential Impact for Foreign Language Instruction." Computer Assisted Language Instruction Consortium (CALICO), Miami State University, OH, June 1-5, 1999.
- "Assessing Socio-Cultural Competence in German." Graduate student conference on Reconceptualizing the German Classroom, Georgetown University, March 1998.
- "Assessing Cultural Competence in German With Computers." Co-presenter with Prof. Thomas Lovik, Michigan State University. Michigan Foreign Language Association (MFLA), Troy, Michigan, October 1997.
- "Das Deutschlandbild einer Immigrantin in Herta Müllers Reisende auf einem Bein." Michigan Academy of Science, Arts and Letters, Michigan State University, March 1994.
- "Online Synchronous Concept Mapping Software," Panel discussion at Media Munchies, Instructional Technology, Creighton University, May 3, 2002.
- "Students' Participation in Chatrooms with Groups of 4 and 5 Students, and a Comparison of Verb Conjugation between Chatroom and Speaking Mode," at the Departmental Research Forum of the Department of Modern Languages and Literatures, Creighton University, November 9, 2001.
- "Text Tracks and Chapter Tracks in QuicktimePro Movies," Media Munchies, Instructional Technology, Creighton University, October 26, 2001.
- "Technology and creative TAs in the language classroom." Co-presenter with Prof. Thomas Lovik, Michigan State University. Conference on Teaching and Learning, East Lansing, Michigan, February 1996.
Computer Mediated Communication (CMC)
Computer Assisted Language Learning (CALL)
Socio cultural assessment
German culture and educational system
Web-based language learning
Student-learning assessment techniques