Frequently Asked Questions

Q:  Who can I call for questions on immunization requirements?
A:  Sue Weston, RN can assist you with your questions by calling 402-280-1789 or by e-mail sweston@creighton.edu.

Q:  How can I request a copy of my immunization records?
A:  Use your personal NEST account under 'Immunization Tracker' and select 'Request Immunizations".  This will prompt you to enter how you want this delivered--fax, email etc..  Record requests are processed daily during the week and are usually provided within 24 hours.

Q:  Who can I call for questions relating to Insurance requirements?
A:  Marian Brown can assist you with your questions by calling 402-280-1278.

Q:  Where is Student Health Services located?
 A:  Student Health Services is located within the Center for Health and Counseling, Suite 1034 of the Harper Center.  Student Health Services is on the Campus Shuttle Route. 

Q:  Do I have to make an appointment at Health Services?
A:  Yes.  Appointments can be made by calling 402-280-2735.  Please give the receptionist a brief description of what you need to be seen for so that you will be scheduled in the appropriate time slot.  You may will need to wait 15 minutes after receiving an immunization.

Q:  Do I have to be on Creighton University’s endorsed Insurance Plan to receive services at Health Services?
A:  No.  All Creighton University student can make an appointment and be seen at Health Services.  You need to bring your insurance card so we can submit any charges directly to your insurance carrier for you.

Q: What do I do if I think I have ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder)?
A: Students with concerns about ADHD: Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder is found in children, and a percentage of these children continue to manifest symptoms as adults. The Center for Health and Counseling can provide evaluation and management for students with attention issues.Accurate diagnosis is important because the medications used for this disorder are often controlled substances. The following steps are required for students without previously diagnosed attentions problems:
1.   Call 402-280-2735 to schedule an ADHD testing appointment with counseling services. Also, come to Counseling Services to pick up and complete a blue Academic Skills Screening Questionnaire. This packet will need to be completed prior to this first appointment.
2.   Diagnostic testing will be done. The fee for this testing is $200.
3.   If ADHD is diagnosed, exam by medical provider, which may include labs and EKG, will be needed.
4.   An appointment with a medical provider will need to be scheduled every 3 months to ensure comprehensive treatment.

 Q: How can I obtain a prescription refill for a medication used to treat ADHD?
A: Students previously diagnosed with ADHD:
1.   A copy of previous records with diagnostic testing needs to be sent to counseling services, to the attention of Dr. Rebecka Tompkins. Fax: 402-280-1859.
2.   If documentation is sufficient, Counseling Services will forward a recommendation to Health Services.
3.   If re-evaluation is needed, the student will be notified to schedule an appointment with Counseling Services at 402-280-2735. The fee for re-evaluation is $200. Results of the evaluation will be forwarded to Health Services.
4.   Exam by medical provider, which may include labs and EKG, will be needed.An appointment with a medical provider will be needed every 3 months.

Q:  Where can I get a prescription filled?
A:  There are several pharmacies located near campus:  CUMC-on shuttle route 402-449-4560; Walgreens at 30th and Dodge 402-342-3301;  CVS Pharmacy at 50th and Dodge 402-558-2000.

Q:  What is a Health Science Student?
A:  Health Science Students are students who are currently enrolled Schools of Dentistry, Medicine, Nursing, EMS, Pharmacy and Allied Health.

Q:  Can my parents or professors receive information about my visit to Student Health Services?
A:  No.  The identity of those using Student Health Services, as well as medical information is confidential.  See Notice of Health Services Privacy Practices.  However, there are three exceptions: 
1.   When a patient  (student) signs an Authorization for Release of Health Information giving the medical provider permission to discuss the visit with designated party or parties, usually parents.
2.   If the medical provider determines there is a clear and imminent danger to the patient (student) and/or society. 
3.   If a Health Sciences student does not meet immunization requirements for clinical practice, their school will be notified. 

Q: Can I receive medications for my illness over the telephone/how do I obtain a refill on a current prescription?
A:  We appreciate that you are busy however, it is in your best interest to be seen by a medical provider for a new illness where the proper diagnosis and treatment can be prescribed.  If you have an ongoing prescription, please call your pharmacy and ask for a refill request to be faxed to our office at 402-280-1859.

Q:  Does Student Health Services prescribe birth control?
A:  Creighton University Student Health Services does not provide/prescribe birth control devices or contraceptives. 

Q:  Do I have to pay for visits at Student Health Services?
A:  Student Health Services will bill your insurance company for services you receive in our office.  If you have questions regarding your bill, you can call Mercedes Brown at 402-280-1860.  Be sure to bring your insurance card with you to your appointment. 

Q:  How can I turn in immunization information to the university?
A:   Immunization forms are mailed to new students and should be used to submit information.  Students also may fax docmentation to 402.280.1859; scan and email to immunizations@creighton.edu; or mail to Student Health Services, 2500 California Plaza, Omaha, NE  68178. 

Q:  What about the insurance requirements?  I already have insurance and I don’t need the University plan.  How do I waive the insurance so I am not charged for the premium? Will I need to do this every semester?
A:  It is a Creighton University requirement that all full-time students carry a comprehensive health insurance policy.  You will automatically be enrolled into the University plan and the premium will be reflected on your Business Office statement.  If you have a current health insurance plan which meets the requirements for the university a waiver for the student policy can be requested.  To request a waiver, a form will need to be completed on your NEST account under the Student Services tab--Waive Insurance.  This process must be completed each academic year.  If you have questions regarding this procedure please call Marian Brown at 402-280-1278. 

Q:  Are there any special vaccinations I should know about? 
A:  You are encouraged to discuss the following vaccines with your personal health care provider.  We strongly recommend them and they are available in our office.
                       HPV vaccine
                       Meningitis vaccine (given after age 16)
                       Influenza vaccine
                       Hepatitis A and B 
                       Tdap vaccine-Adacel or Boosterix

Q:  What should I bring to campus with me?
A:           Current insurance card
              Spare pair of glasses especially if you wear contacts
              A copy of your contact or eye glass prescription
              A current list all currently prescribed medications

               First Aid Kit that includes:
          •     Digital Thermometer
          •     Tweezers 
          •     Eye wash solution 
          •     Bandage scissors 
          •     Ace bandage 
          •     "Band-aids" 
          •      Adhesive tape 
          •      Cotton balls for cleaning wounds or applying medication 
          •      Sterile first aid dressings in sealed envelope (various sizes)
          •      Ice packs (chemical ice bags) to use to reduce swelling
          •      Waterless hand wash 
          •      Antibiotic ointment (Neosporin)
          •      Antihistamine (Benedryl)
          •      Anti-diarrheal (Immodium)