Creighton University Health Insurance Requirements
Ensuring that you are covered by comprehensive health insurance while at college is a critically important step towards your success as a student. Creighton University offers a quality, price-competitive health insurance plan for all students.
If you have questions regarding the Health Insurance Requirement, please contact Marian Brown at (402) 280-1278.
New and Returning Students are auto-enrolled on the Creighton Health Insurance plan. If a student chooses NOT to enroll, they must waive the coverage.
The on-line waiver process will begin each July and continue thru the deadline--September 1st.
It is Creighton University policy that all full time students be covered by a comprehensive health insurance plan* for the entire academic year. Creighton University Health Insurance Requirements can also be found in the Creighton University Student Handbook.
NOTE: The premium for the University-sponsored Student Health Insurance Plan will remain on the student’s account unless the waiver process is properly completed before the deadline. This information is required on an annual basis.
A comprehensive health insurance plan fulfills the following requirements:
- Coverage for inpatient and outpatient medical care within the Omaha area. (Emergency only coverage does not satisfy this requirement.)
- Coverage for inpatient and outpatient mental health care within the Omaha area. (Emergency only coverage does not satisfy this requirement.)
- Coverage is currently active and maintained for the entire academic year.
- Offers a lifetime maximum of at least $250,000 in coverage per accident or illness.
Automatic enrollment into the University endorsed Plan will occur and the tuition statement will reflect a charge for the entire premium when Health Services becomes aware of a lapse in the student’s insurance coverage.
Frequently Asked Insurance Questions
Q: I’m covered by my parents’ insurance. What else do I need to know/do?
A: You and your parents need to understand the scope of the coverage your insurance company provides.
Helpful Questions Include
- What type of coverage does my student have in the Omaha area?
- Is non emergent care (sore throat, colds, injuries) covered and at what level?
- Does my policy cover club sports and intercollegiate sports injuries?
- Does my policy cover inpatient and outpatient mental health services?
- Do I have to see a particular provider?
- Is Dr. Karin Priefert considered in network?
- Do I need a referral when my student is out of area and how do I get one?
- At what age does my student become ineligible as a dependent?
- What forms do I need to submit to show my child's status as a student?
- Most insurance companies require full time student enrollment verification. The form needs to be submitted to the Registrar's Office for completion. They can be faxed to 402-280-2527 or emailed to Registrar@creighton.edu.
Q: Do I need to be on Creighton’s insurance to be seen at the Center for Health and Counseling (CHC)?
A: No, our services are available to all currently enrolled Creighton students.
Q: I have checked with my insurance company and know I have comprehensive health insurance coverage in Omaha, how do I waive Creighton’s endorsed plan for students?
A: After July 1st, visit the CHC website link to the waiver site.
Q: My parents lost their insurance coverage do I need to do anything?
A: Absolutely. Your family may be eligible for COBRA coverage. That can be very expensive and you must make the decision within 31 days to avoid experiencing a “lapse in coverage”. This is key to avoiding the label of “pre-existing condition”. This is important because many insurance companies have a waiting period before they will pay for a “pre-existing condition”. You can enroll in Creighton’s health insurance plan because you have experienced a “change in status”. Please contact the CHC for more guidance.
Q: Why do you need to see my insurance card when I come in the see a health care provider?
A: In addition to making a copy of your card, we will ask you for the birth date of the policyholder (usually mom or dad). We need this information to file your insurance for you. We will keep this information in your file and will ask you about any changes each time you visit.
Creighton's Student Health Insurance Program
For more information on purchasing Creighton's Student Health Insurance, please visit our student health insurance page.