Insurance FAQs

Student Health Services

Creighton University
2500 California Plaza
Harper 1034, Ground Floor
Omaha, Nebraska 68178
Phone: (402) 280-2735
Fax:  (402) 280-1859

Academic Year

Monday 8:00am-4:30pm
Tuesday 8:00am-6:30pm
Wednesday 8:00am-6:30pm
Thursday: 10:00am-4:30pm
Friday 8:00am-4:30pm

Fall Break/Spring Break/Summer

Mon through Fri 8:00am-4:30pm


Frequently Asked Insurance Questions


Q:  Iím covered by my parentsí insurance plan.  What else do I need to know/do?

A:  Determine the scope of coverage provided by your insurance plan. 

 The plan must include the following:

  • Do I have comprehensive coverage in the Omaha area (including inpatient and outpatient care for medical and mental health services)?
  • Is non-emergent care (i.e., sore throat, colds, injuries, etc.) covered and at what level?
  • Are club sports and intercollegiate sports injuries covered?

 Other considerations:

  • Is Creighton Student Health Services considered in-network?
  • Does my plan require a referral when I am out-of-area and how do I get one?
  • At what age do I become ineligible for dependent coverage on my parentsí insurance?

Most insurance companies require full-time student enrollment verification.  Forms may be submitted to the Creighton University Registrarís Office for completion (fax: 402-280-2527;

Q: Do I need to be on the University-sponsored Student Health Insurance plan to be seen at Student Health Services?

A: No.  Our services are available to all currently enrolled Creighton University students.  Our medical providers participate with most insurance plans.  All claims are automatically submitted to the insurance carrier submitted by the patient at the time of service.  Check with your insurance plan to verify the benefit level for services received at Student Health Services.  Patients requiring a referral for out-of-network services are responsible for initiating the referral process.

Q: My parents lost their insurance coverage.  Do I need to do anything?

A: Yes.  Your family may be eligible for COBRA coverage.  COBRA coverage is expensive and you must enroll within 31 days to avoid a lapse in coverage. Another option is to enroll in our University-sponsored Creighton Student Health Insurance plan (make this a hyperlink to insurance page).   Contact Student Health Services for guidance. 

Q: Why do you need to see my insurance card when I come to see a healthcare provider?

A: We need a copy of your insurance card to file your insurance for you.  Will also ask for the birthdate of the policyholder (usually mother or father).   We will keep this information in your file and ask about any changes at each visit.

Q: Do I have to pay for visits at Student Health Services?

A:  Student Health Services will bill your insurance company for services you receive in our office.  If you have questions regarding your bill, you can call our billing specialist (402-280-1860).