Graduate Certificate in Spiritual Direction and Directed Retreat
The Certificate is 18 credits and requires the following:
- An Orientation to Graduate Study (held the Sunday before the first day of classes)
- An 8 day silent retreat completed before beginning the program, it is highly recommended that student complete the Creighton CSP Retreat held every year just prior to the start of classes.
- 2 years of regular spiritual direction prior to entering the program
- 12 credits or 4 recent undergraduate Theology courses covering the following: Old Testament, New Testament, Theological Ethics/Moral Theology, Contemporary Christian Theology
- Regular spiritual direction during the program
- 30 years of age, minimum
- Approval of the Director of Practica to begin the Pre-Practicum summer.
- Approval of the Director of Practica to begin the Practicum experience. The Practicum is completed the year between the second and third summer of study at the student's home site.
Certificate candidates who receive the approval of the Director of Practica normally complete 6 credits, or two courses in one, four week term. The Certificate is designed to be completed in three consecutive summers due to the developmental nature of the certificate curriculum.
Course Sequence Required for the Certificate
- CSP 773: The Theology of the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius
- CSP 780: Counseling for Spiritual Direction
With the Director of Practica's permission, certificate candidates will register for CSP 781 Pre-Practicum.
- CSP 776: Discernment of Spirits: Theory and Practice
- CSP 781: Pre Practicum in Spiritual Direction and Directed Retreat
With the Director of Practica's approval certificate candidates will be approved to begin the practicum at their home site. The practicum is completed in the year between the second and third summer of study.
With the Director of Practica's approval certificate candidates will register for CSP 782 Post Practicum.
- CSP 764: Prayer and Christian Spirituality or CSP 765: Prayer, Intimacy and True Christian Growth or CSP 766: Contemplation in the Christian Tradition
- CSP 782: Post Practicum in Spiritual Direction and Directed Retreat