Then & Now

Then & Now

The “Old Gym” (Vinardi Center) has served students in myriad ways over the years. Alumni, depending on their eras and activities, will remember standing in line to register for classes, swimming in the lower-level pool, and attending men’s and women’s basketball games and commencement ceremonies in the building at 24th and Burt streets. It has had numerous makeovers, and now the gymnasium itself has been transformed into a state-of-the-art, high-tech Pharmacy Skills Lab for campus and online students.

At right top, the men’s basketball team plays to a full house in 1924. At right below, today’s pharmacy students will be practicing vastly different skills in the same space as they learn sterile and nonsterile compounding and participate in community pharmacy simulation and drug information activities. The gym has been reconfigured to accommodate 85 on-site future pharmacists and many more online via digital tools.