Advanced Standing Program Information
Creighton University School of Dentistry has a space-available Advanced Standing program.
An application for admission to advanced standing is considered within two distinct categories:
- Applicants with one or more years of formal dental education in the United States, must make formal application and provide Dental Admission Test scores, transcripts and letters of recommendation. In addition to the information demanded of applicants for admission into the first year, applicants for advanced standing must provide scores of Part I of the National Board examination if it has been completed and a letter from the Dean of the Dental School previously attended attesting that the applicant is in good standing and that he or she is eligible to return to the institution and complete the course of instruction. Transfer students are only admitted into the sophomore year.
- Applicants presenting evidence of having completed a formal dental education in a foreign dental school must make application and provide Part I scores of the National Board Examination, transcripts, letters of recommendation and evidence of proficiency in the English language. Foreign gratuates accepted into the advanced standing program are admitted into the sophomore year. Applicants must also show evidence of completing a specialty degree or certificate of specialty from a United States institution.
For a Foreign Dental Graduate, there are four basic requirements to be eligible to apply to the space-available Advanced Standing Program.
- Must possess a Foreign Dental Degree.
- Must PASS National Board Part I.
- Must score at least 90 on TOEFL.
- Must be able to show proof of having completed a certificate program in a subject that is dental-related. This must be taken at a college or university here in the United States
Foreign graduates complete the sophomore and junior year academic curriculum with special clinical requirements. Normally, a student must complete at least two years of dental school education at Creighton University to be eligible for graduation. THIS IS A SPACE AVAILABLE PROGRAM AND THERE IS NO GUARANTEE THAT A VACANCY WILL DEVELOP IN THE SOPHOMORE CLASS IN ANY GIVEN YEAR.
Note that the tuition for the 2014-2015 school year is $54,474. Although this figure is near the lowest of all private dental schools in the country, it has increased annually and it is not unreasonable to expect that it will continue to rise. Please note that the fee for filing an application for advanced standing is $60.00. This fee is a non-refundable fee used to offset the cost of compilation and maintenance of advanced standing records.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR ADVANCED STANDING APPLICATION
Applicant would have to complete a two page application form. It must be returned to our Admissions Office accompanied by: (1) a copy of your photograph as indicated on the application and (2) the $60.00 application fee.
Documentation of Education:
Request the Registrar of each college, university, professional school or other institution of higher learning that you have attended or are attending, to send directly to the Creighton Dental Admissions Office, complete official transcripts of your academic record, regardless of the period of attendance.
Transcripts submitted in a language other than English should be accompanied by a certified translation. Graduates of a foreign dental school must present certified copies of Diplomas and Certificates.
Please have three letters of recommendation from current basic dental science professors or clinical professors sent to the Creighton Dental Admissions Office. Since in some situations, this request might jeopardize a student's future at a foreign dental school, letters from undergraduate science professors located in universities in the United States are acceptable providing the student has completed a course within three years from that professor.
A letter of recommendation from the Dean of the Dental School previously attended attesting that the applicant is in good standing and that he or she is eligible to return to the institution and complete a formal dental education, is also requested.
The application for advanced standing must be accompanied by a check for $60.00 made payable to Creighton University. THIS FEE IS NON-REFUNDABLE. No file is complete until the fee has been paid.
PLEASE NOTE: CREIGHTON UNIVERSITY WILL NOT ASSUME THE RESPONSIBILITY OF NOTIFYING YOU OF THE INCOMPLETE STATUS OF YOUR APPLICATION. THEREFORE, WE RECOMMEND THAT YOU CHECK BACK ON ALL THE TRANSCRIPTS AND RECOMMENDATIONS YOU SENT.
Should you have any questions concerning your application or the necessary documents that accompany it, please do not hesitate to contact the Creighton Dental Admissions Office where your advanced standing application will be on file (1-800-544-5072).
Click here for the Advanced Standing application.