What is Classic Upward Bound?
Classic Upward Bound is a federally funded program that assists Omaha high school students in achieving academic skills and personal growth necessary for successful completion of high school and admission to a four-year college/university. Upward Bound programs supplement the students high school experience with academic preparation, career exploration, and self-development opportunities. Classic Upward Bound at Creighton University is for students who demonstrate a desire for higher education.
Who is Eligible?
- Students who have earned at minimum of a 2.50 grade point average at the time of the application
- Students enrolled in the 9th -11th grade. (Upward Bound does not accept students that have attained Senior status)
- Student who are first generation college-bound student (neither parent has earned a four-year college degree)
- Students who meet the U.S. Department of Education income guidelines
- Students that show a need for Classic Upward Bound services.
- Active participation in the Classic Upward Bound Academic year and the Summer Residential Academy components
What are the Services?
- One-on-one academic advising
- Financial Aid/Scholarships exploration
- ACT/SAT Preparation
- Career Exploration
- College Selection
- Academic Workshops
- Community Service
- Cultural/ Social Activities
What are the Academic Year Requirements?
Students are required to attend a minimum of two hours of individual tutoring per week. Tutoring is Monday - Thursday from 3:00 - 6:00pm.
Students are required to attend classes from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on the first and third Saturdays of each month.
- Supplemental instructional courses include, but are not limited to:
- Math: Algebra, Geometry, Calculus, amd Trigonometry
- Science: Physical Science, Biology, Chemistry, Physics
- English: Reading/Writing Skills, Word Study, Writing & Composition, Basic Reference and Speech
- Social Development: Self-esteem, Confidence, and Social Skills
What is the Summer Academy?
Classic Upward Bound offers a six-week residential summer component on the campus of Creighton University. Participants are provided an opportunity to stay in one of Creighton's resident halls, attend classes, and gain exposure to various facets of "college life." Students attend an average of 5-6 hours of instruction per day. The classes are designed to stimulate a collegiate experience.
Senior Graduates who complete the program at graduation are eligible to register for two college classes and earn credit that is transferable to their college of choice. (*Eligibility is determined by grade point average, participation and program requirements.)
Where do I sign?
For additional information, contact the Classic Upward Bound office at 280-2958.