Pre-Move Task Sheet

Creighton University

University Moving Services (UMS)

Pre-Move Tasks and Moving Instructions


(Printable PDF Version)

-    In order to expedite the moving process, University Moving Services (UMS) requests that your department accomplishes the following PRIOR to the arrival of the moving crew.

Reduce what you have to pack and move

-    Purge files - - - Note:  department copies of DPR?s, TER?s and invoices can be thrown out after six (6) months to a year from date of issue.  The Controller?s Office has the original that is kept for seven (7) years.
-    Consolidate records
-    Use up inventory
-    Survey existing furniture and storage
-    Identify what needs to go to new space
-    Identify what can be returned to the University for re-allocation
-    Identify what can be disposed of

Preparing Furniture and Equipment

-    All file cabinets MUST be empty to be moved.  Tape the keys inside or take keys with you for the drawers.
-    All desk, storage cabinets, bookcases, credenzas, etc. must be empty to be moved.  Be sure to tape the keys to the inside of one of the drawers or take with you. Do not lock the drawers

Disconnect and prepare all office equipment - computer equipment

-    Wrap up cords and/or wires and patch cords and place all misc computer items in a box. Please make sure box is marked Computer Parts and room number on box.  This will make sure that it is available for IT when they connect the computers.
-    Cannon IS REQUIRED to handle the relocation to avoid warranty issues.  It is your department's responsibility to contact Xerox and arrange the move.
-    If damage occurs because of failure to properly prepare the product for moving it IS NOT the responsibility of the mover, either internal or external.

Boxes, Packing and Tagging

-    Boxes are available thru the university.  They are broken down and will need to be taped.
-    Contact Facilities Management when you need them and where you would like them placed
-    ( or call extension 2780
-    Tape is clear 2'' (buy by roll) thru PayLess
-     Note: should you acquire boxes yourself for packing, be sure they are sturdy and not too large.  Remember people have to lift and move each item; the weight limit per box is NOT TO EXCEED 50 lbs.
-    If the items are personal property it is recommended you move the items yourself, especially artwork, framed pictures, figurines, plants, etc.

-    All boxes must be tagged with a label or masking tape indicating the person's name and the NEW room numbers or space that they are assigned to in the NEW location. This is done so that boxes can be re-used by others (DO NOT WRITE ON BOXES)
-    All furniture, equipment or any item being moved must be tagged.

Department Responsibilities
The following items are strictly the responsibility of the relocating department:
-    Updating CU directory
-    Updating department asset inventory with Accounts Payable
-    Requesting temporary recycling bins from Custodial Services
-    Notifying contracted services of move and requesting associated costs
-    Bottled water
-    Coffee Service
-    Copier
-    Vending (contact Skutt Student Center)
-    Cable television-contact DoIt
-    Contacting Mail Services to update mail stop information
-    Contacting Purchasing to update Banner "Ship To" information
-    Update Department website with new location information

Accounting of Fixed Assets

All fixed assets with a unit purchase cost of $5,000 or more are tagged with a University identification number.  
-    To help reduce the overall confusion, contact Inventory/Fixed Assets x1726 to obtain a Fixed Asset Inventory Listing for your area.  Mark the changes in RED for the items you are keeping and re-locating to your new location.  Be sure to change the building and room numbers.  Attach the completed Asset Disposal and Asset Moving Forms as necessary for disposed, left or returned for re-allocation assets.
-    After it has been determined that an item is to be disposed of, left in place or returned to the University for re-allocation it is the responsibility of your designated departmental individual to complete the necessary forms.
-    If an item has been identified as being disposed of, you should contact the finance in the Linn Building to discuss disposal alternatives.  Once the alternative is determined, an Asset Disposal Form must be completed.
-    Note:  DO NOT REMOVE the bar code University asset tag.
-    If an item has been identified as being returned to the University for re-allocation, complete the Asset Moving Form and indicate returned to University storage from building name and room number.
-    If an item is being left in place and is tagged be sure to complete the Asset Moving Form if a different department with a different fund and organization number will use the asset.