Policy 13 - New or Expanded Programs
DATE ISSUED: November 1, 2001
Requests for new University programs, or significant expansion of existing programs, will be reviewed and approved by the Budget Committee prior to starting such programs. No expenditures or commitments related to a new program may be made until such approval has been obtained.
When seeking approval for new programs, the requesting area must provide all of the standard information deemed necessary by the University. This information would include, but is not limited to, the following:
- General description of the program, (objectives, structure, etc)
- Justification for the program in relation to the University strategic goals and to the current internal and external environment.
- Projected revenue and expense for three to five years.
- Estimated enrollment by year (where applicable).
- Identification of start-up costs and "one-time" expenses.
- Description of assumptions used.
- Exit strategy in the event that the proposed program fails to meet established targets.
(See New Programs approval procedures (BDPR 4).
This policy is related to the financial considerations of new programs. It assumes that all necessary academic considerations were made by the appropriate individuals in the case of academic programs.