Procedure 4 - Requesting New or Expanded Programs
PROCEDURE TITLE: Requesting New or Expanded Programs
RELATED POLICY STATEMENTS(S): BDPL 13
DATE ISSUED: November 1, 2001
DATE REVISED: July 15, 2008
This procedure outlines the necessary steps to request Budget Committee approval for starting a new program or significantly expanding an existing program. Programs may be academic (e.g., Pharmacy Web Pathway) or non-academic (e.g., CU at Camp).
Processing Steps (after all appropriate academic considerations have been examined):
- The initiating school or department completes the following information on Schedule 5 and on supplemental attachments:
- General description of the new or expanded program, (include objectives, structure, organization, etc.)
- Justification for the new or expanded program in relation to the University's strategic goals and to the current internal and external environment. (Include description of current market conditions and need for the program.)
- Project revenue, expense and bottom line for three to five years with assumptions.
- Estimated break-even point.
- Estimated enrollment, by year, with assumptions (if applicable).
- Identification of start-up costs and "one-time" expenses.
- Description of general assumptions used.
- Exit strategy in the event that the proposed program fails to meet established targets.
NOTE: The Budget Office is available to provide assistance in developing this information.