Financial Aid FAQ's

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Do I have to reapply each year for Financial Aid?

Yes, all Creighton students who wish to be considered for Federal and Institutional need-based aid are required to complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year. In addition to the FAFSA, undergraduate students who are selected for verification, will need to turn in a Creighton University Verification worksheet and copies of the previous year's student's and parents' federal tax transcripts. Most filers can also use the IRS Data Retrieval options.  Parents are also required to send copies of all W-2 forms.  You will be notified if you are selected for verification. 

Here are 2 quick tip videos to help you understand the verification worksheet and the IRS data retrieval option.

How do I get into my NEST web site for the very first time?

Check your email regularly. We will communicate with you often through your email account!  And your NEST web site has all your information.  It is secure and confidential.  Only you can see it.  You can also give permission for others to access your information, such as your parents or guardian.  There are instructions on NEST is you wish to give others access to some or all or your information.

Does Creighton University have a priority deadline?

Creighton encourages both new and returning students to complete the FAFSA or Renewal Application by April 1.  If requested, the IRS Tax Return Transcript should be submitted to the Financial Aid Office by May 1.

How do I apply for scholarships at Creighton University?

The Undergraduate Application for Admissions also serves as Creightonís scholarship application. The application deadline for priority consideration for scholarships at Creighton is determined by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Announcements of scholarship recipients is made by the University Scholarship Committee as part of the Admissions decision letter.

Are Creightonís academic scholarships renewable?

Yes, academic scholarship awards are renewable for eight semesters. Scholarship recipients must maintain full-time enrollment and the required grade point average for scholarship renewal. Scholarship recipientís progress is monitored annually.

When will a scholarship recipientís grade point average be monitored?

A warning notice will be mailed after the fall semester to those students whose cumulative grade point average is below the requirement. At the end of the spring semester a scholarship termination letter will be mailed to those students who's cumulative grade point average falls below the minimum requirement.

How are outside scholarships handled by Creighton University?

All students receiving outside scholarship awards need to notify the Financial Aid Office to properly credit the student's account at the Business Office. We may have to adjust federal financial aid in accordance with federal regulations. We will reduce/cancel loans first, then Federal Work-Study. All outside scholarship checks should be sent to:

Creighton University Office of Financial Aid
2500 California Plaza
Omaha, NE 68178

Are transfer students eligible for scholarships at Creighton?

Some scholarships may be available for students transferring in to Creighton. Please contact Creighton's Office of Undergraduate Admissions for further information.

How will I receive my financial aid award funds?

All financial aid is credited by semester. One half of the yearly award will be applied to the assessed charges at the beginning of the Fall term, the other half at the beginning of the Spring term.

How are Federal Direct Loan funds disbursed?

All Federal Direct Loan funds will be automatically credited to the student's account at the Business Office.

What if I have more aid than I owe Creighton University?

Students with a credit balance have several options. The Business Office can issue a refund to the student, to the parent, or hold the credit for the next semester. 

All refunds issued must go to student's designated bank account.  No paper checks are issued. Students sign up for direct deposit of their refunds to their bank account through their NEST. Follow the links for "Student Accounts".  All refunds are handled through the CU Business Office.  If you are not sure you have a credit balance, check your account on NEST or call the Business Office, 402.280.2707.

I need a list of all the student loans I've taken. Where do I go?

Here is information about how to find your loan history.

Can I use a credit card to pay my balance?

Yes. If you still have an outstanding balance after all financial aid and other credits have been applied, you can pay the remaining balance with one of the following cards: Discover, MasterCard or American Express. There is a 2.75% processing fee. 

You can also pay your remaining balance using e-checks. You will need to supply your bank account #, bank routing # and indicate savings or checking. There is no fee to use e-checks. 

Go to your NEST and follow instructions for these processes listed under Student Accounts.

Does Creighton offer any type of payment plan?

Yes, Creighton offers the Monthly Electronic Transfer (MET) Plan. The MET Plan is designed to avoid the impact of paying a full semesterís tuition in one sum, by making equal monthly payments beginning in June. There is a yearly fee for this service, but no interest charge. For more information about this plan, please contact the Creighton Business Office, 402-280-2292.

Does Creighton offer a discount if two or more family members are enrolled at the same time?

For students beginning Fall 2012 and after, there is no family discount.