Visiting Scholars

Creighton University is proud to participate as a designated sponsor in the Exchange Visitor Program (J visa) governed by the U.S. Department of State.  The program was created to "promote mutual understanding between the people of the United States and other countries by means of educational and cultural exchange." To learn more about how the Department of State runs the Exchange Visitor Program, please watch a short video and/or read the information posted on their website.

The Global Engagement Office (GEO) administers Creighton University's Exchange Visitor Program, also lnow as "Visiting Scholars Program."  Only the Responsible Officer (RO) and the Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) may sign the immigration documents (Form DS-2019), and are responsible to safeguard all forms issued to the sponsor by the Department of State.  All matters pertaining to the Program must be brought to the attention of Dr. René Padilla, Executive Director of Global Engagement (  Contact the Global Engagement Office (GEO) by phone at (402) 280-2221.

Host / sponsoring departments determine the objectives and requirements for their particular program. To take part in Creighton University's Exchange Visitor Program, an applicant must contact sponsoring / host departments directly.  The GEO can only accept inquiries and application forms from sponsoring departments at the University.

Maintaining Legal Status

  • Update Your Address
  • Program Extension Request
  • Transfer Request
  • Permission for Employment Request
  • Timely Departure or Change Form
  • Travel Authorization Request

Host / Sponsoring departments must submit a completed Request for a Certificate of Eligibility For Exchange Visitor (J1) Status Form and other required documents to the Global Engagement Office before inviting a visiting scholar.

Please consult with the GEO before inviting the scholar to make sure the candidate is eligible. 

The host / sponsoring department at Creighton University must first determine that the individual has the appropriate academic credentials as well as sufficient English language proficiency for the temporary academic appointment.  In addition, the host /sponsoring department at Creighton University must provide evidence of financial support (either Creighton funds or outside funding) for all of the scholar's expenses (including additional financial support for any accompanying family members).