We will obtain copyright permission for you.
To obtain copyright permission for your course materials we will need as much of the following information as you can provide:
What is Fair Use?
- the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
- the nature of the copyrighted work;
- the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
- the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work. The fact that a work is unpublished shall not itself bar a finding of fair use if such finding is made upon consideration of all the above factors."
Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use (Title 17 USC Section 107)
"Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.
In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include—
Copyright and Fair Use: Creighton University Guidelines
- HSL Policy Statement
- Copyright Policy Information
- E-Reserves Submission Form
- Fair Use Checklist
- Letter from HSL Director Concerning NIH Public Access Policy
- TEACH Act Checklist
- Reinert/Alumni Reserves Copyright Guidelines
- Intellectual Property Policy—Creighton Faculty Handbook
See Section I
- Guide to Policies of Creighton University
See Section 4.2.3
Selected Copyright Resources on the Internet
- ALA Washington Office : Copyright
- ALA Washington Office: TEACH Act
- Copyright and Intellectual Property Maintained by Association of Research Libraries. Has analysis of UCITA, the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, and other enactments as well as some recent statements, testimonies, and letters on copyright related legislation. Includes Court Cases/Legal Decisions section with links to the full text of legal briefs.
- Copyright and Multimedia Law for Webbuilders and Multimedia Authors Directory of websites maintained by Karla Tonella, University of Iowa
- Copyright Clearance Center Explains the services of the CCC, provides news, articles, and a list of related resources. CCC's Electronic Course Content Service is of particular interest for those with electronic course-packs, electronic reserves, or distance learning permission needs.
- Copyright FAQ by Kenneth D. Crews, Indiana University School of Law-Indianapolis
- Crash Course in Copyright University of Texas
- Fair Use of Copyrighted Works, A Crucial Element in Educating America Pamphlet published by a consortium of the State University System of New York, the California State University System, and the City University of New York
- Intellectual Property : Copyrights, Trademarks, and Patents Commercial site from @BRINT.com 'The BizTech Network'
- United States Copyright Office Well organized site providing copyright information, registration procedures, forms, records, announcements, new and pending legislation, and international copyright matters.
- U.S. Copyright Office offers web based searching. Users can search copyright records via the Web dating back to 1978 in three categories:
- General works, consisting of books, music, films, maps, and software
- Serials, such as magazines and newspapers
- Documents such as contracts, licenses, and wills that relate to copyright ownership.
- World Intellectual Property Organization WIPO is dedicated to helping to ensure the protection of intellectual property rights worldwide.