Creighton University is a tobacco-free campus and offers several classes and seminars to assist Creighton community members with tobacco cessation. See below for upcoming workshops. Additional information and the University’s policy are available under Policy and Resources.
To assist staff and faculty who want to quit, the University offers several incentives:
- The University covers the cost of classes for the employee and spouse if you attend all of them.
- If you are interested in pharmacotherapy (nicotine patches/gum, Zyban, Chantix) to assist you, Creighton will provide a discount on these items if attending classes.
Remember the effects of tobacco and second-hand smoke are devastating.
- Smoking-related illnesses claim more American lives than alcohol, car accidents, suicide, AIDS, homicide and illegal drugs…combined.
- Tobacco-related diseases account for the deaths of over 400,000 adults in the United States each year.
- Cigarette smoking has been identified as the most important source of preventable morbidity and mortality.
- According to the American Cancer Society, cigarette smoking accounts for at least 30 percent of all cancer deaths. Second-hand smoke is responsible for 3000 lung cancer deaths each year in non-smoking adults.
For additional information you may contact Shavonne Washington-Krauth, tobacco programs coordinator, 402.280.5287 or e-mail her at email@example.com.
Programs Offered for Tobacco-Cessation
Creighton offers several classes and seminars to assist Creighton community members with tobacco cessation. Seminars are available for those considering quitting tobacco, but may not be ready, and group classes are available for those ready to quit.
Tobacco 101 is a tobacco education program held in groups that is designed for people who are not quite ready to quit tobacco, but are getting more comfortable with the idea of change. Tobacco 101 presentations are typically held in March, June, September, and December.
Upcoming Tobacco 101 Presentations - Coming Soon!
Commit to Quit Classes
Commit to Quit is our highly successful, 8-session group tobacco cessation program for those ready to make the commitment to quit tobacco use. Commit to Quit classes typically begin in January, April, July, and November.
E-mail Shavonne at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 402-280-5287 to sign up or to inquire about alternate times if this class doesn't fit your schedule.
Upcoming Commit to Quit Tobacco Cessation Classes
New sessions beginning the week of November 5th and January 14th. Day of the week and time of day will be determined based on employee need.
Want a flyer to keep handy? Click here for the upcoming sessions flyer.