Faculty/Staff Performance Review Cycle
As Creighton University fosters a performance-based culture, it is important to integrate mission as a key component in the performance review process. One of the Ignatian values is having a culture of ongoing coaching and formation which calls forth otherís gifts. Every person who works at Creighton, regardless of their role, deserves ongoing feedback and coaching on their efforts. This provides our hard working and dedicated people valuable reinforcement of their strengths and a development plan toward fulfilling the Universityís vision of academic excellence.
It is important and necessary to provide people with honest feedback on how well they perform all of their assigned responsibilities. This is accomplished by developing solid goals and objectives and following up with well-written performance documentation for informal discussion throughout the annual performance period culminating with the formal discussion at the end of the performance evaluation period.
Based on the new salary merit effective date of October 1st, the following outlines the performance period and review dates for this year:
Review period: July 1, 2012 to June 30, 2013
Performance Review Preparation period: June 15 - July 31, 2013
Performance Review communication to staff : Anytime from July 1 to July 31, 2013
Completed performance reviews submitted to Human Resources: Due August 1, 2013
Due to our diverse and comprehensive mix of schools and colleges, each school will determine what the most appropriate performance review cycle works best for their faculty. Please note the salary merit effective date for faculty and staff at Creighton will be October 1.
Late spring and early summer, the Human Resources team will be sponsoring educational and information sessions for managers and employees on how to best develop, conduct, participate and overall manage an effective performance review.
Performance Management Process
Creighton's Performance Management Process was developed by the Performance Management Working Group. This working group consists of faculty, staff and administration from various departments, divisions and schools within Creighton University.
Creighton's Performance Evaluation Process creates accountability and fosters a pay for performance culture. The process also encourages input from all employees regarding their performance through the Employee Self Assessment form.
- Manager downloads and completes the most current form Performance Evaluation Form.
- Manager reviews, notes results and rates each Individual Objective (each employee must have a minimum of 3).
- Manager reviews, comments and rates employee on each performance competency (Non-Supervisory or Supervisory based on role).
- Manager assigns ONE overall rating based on how the employee performs the majority of the time (Meets, Exceeds, Needs Improvement).
- Manager adds overall comments and notes development plan items.
- Manager schedules performance meeting and asks employee to complete the Employee Self Assessment and submit to manager prior to the scheduled meeting.
- Manager saves the completed form in this format: Employee Last Name_Employee First Name. FORM MUST HAVE SIGNATURES AND ONE OVERALL RATING. Completed form is then emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line format: Employee Last Name_Employee First Name.
The following tools can be used during the process, but should not be submitted to HR. The manager should retain in their employee files.