Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment Service (VR&E Chapter 31)



E-mail us:

Call us:

"I was able to complete most of the admissions requirements while I was in Afghanistan, and hit the ground running when I got to Nebraska."

- Jacob Hardiman
Veteran Adult Learner

If you’re a service-disabled veteran, you may qualify for education benefits through the Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment (VR&E) Vet Success Program, also known as Vocational Rehabilitation (Voc Rehab) or Chapter 31.

The Office of Military and Veterans Affairs will make it as smooth as possible for you to use your Voc Rehab benefits at Creighton University.

Before you can receive your benefits for use at Creighton, you must:

Submit your application for admission and be accepted to Creighton

Meet with a Voc Rehab counselor and apply for VA education benefits

 Provide your VA Form 22-1905 from your Voc Rehab counselor and a Creighton Information Form to the Office of Military and Veterans Affairs

 Enroll and register for classes at Creighton University

Certification Process

After the Office of Military and Veterans Affairs has received your VA Form 22-1905 and Information Form and you’ve registered for classes, we will certify your enrollment with the VA. This certification triggers the VA to begin processing your benefits. Your applicable tuition and fees and books and supplies approved by your VA counselor on your VA Form 22-1905 will be paid directly to Creighton University on your behalf.   

As long as you remain continuously enrolled for subsequent semesters and the Office of Military and Veterans Affairs receives a VA Form 22-1905, we will certify your enrollment with the VA. This will be automatic unless you inform us that you do not wish to be certified for a particular course, term, and/or semester.     


  • Comprehensive rehabilitation evaluation to determine abilities, skills, and interests for employment
  • Vocational counseling and rehabilitation planning for employment services
  • Employment services such as job-training, job-seeking skills, resume development, and other work readiness assistance
  • Assistance finding & keeping a job, the use of special employer incentivesand job accommodations
  • On the Job Training (OJT), apprenticeships, and non-paid work experiences
  • Post-secondary training at a college, vocational, technical or business school
  • Supportive rehabilitation services including case management, counseling, and medical referrals
  • Independent living services for veterans unable to work due to the severity of their disabilities



Active Duty Service Members are eligible if they:

  • Expect to receive an honorable discharge upon separation from active duty
  • Obtain a memorandum rating of 20% or more from the VA
  • Apply for Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) services

Veterans are eligible if they:

  • Have received, or will receive, a discharge that is other than dishonorable
  • Have a service-connected disability rating of at least 10%, or a memorandum rating of 20% or more from the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA)
  • Apply for Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) services

The basic period of eligibility in which VR&E services may be used is 12 years from the latter of the following:

  • Date of separation from active military service, or
  • Date the veteran was first notified by VA of a service-connected disability rating.

The basic period of eligibility may be extended if a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (VRC) determines that a Veteran has a Serious Employment Handicap.

Find Out More

If you have questions or concerns about using your benefits at Creighton, please email Jennifer Austin, program coordinator in the Office of Military and Veterans Affairs, or call her at 402.280.4910.

For specific questions about this program, please explore the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.