Recreation & Entertainment
When it comes to recreation, Omaha has something for everyone. The city is a stopping point for most touring shows, be they from Broadway or the latest popular group. Omaha has more restaurants per capita than nearly any other city in the nation and is home to four major shopping malls with world class shopping. Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo is internationally known and contains the nation's largest indoor rainforest. Recently the addition of two casinos to neighboring Council Bluffs has added to the entertainment options.
For fine arts enthusiasts, Opera Omaha, the Omaha Ballet, the Omaha Symphony and Omaha Playhouse offer over 500 performances annually. The Joslyn Art Museum has an extensive collection and hosts most major traveling exhibits.
For sports fans Omaha offers the NCAA Division I Creighton Bluejays and the AAA Omaha Royals baseball team. The Royals stadium is home to the College World Series every spring. The University of Nebraska Cornhuskers play less than an hour away in Memorial Stadium.
Nebraska's claim to the "Good Life" is abundantly clear in Omaha. It is a great place to work and live.
Omaha Area Attractions
From the annual NCAA College World Series and the Henry Doorly Zoo to the Strategic Air Command Museum and the Omaha Symphony, Omaha has something for people of all ages and walks of life. Check out these links for things to do in the Omaha area:
- Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo. See why so many people say this is the best zoo in the country! It is home to the famous Lied Jungle, Desert Dome, IMAX Theater, Hubbard Gorilla Valley, and many other exhibits. Zoo memberships are offered at discount prices to Internal Medicine residents and their family.
- The Omaha Old Market. Visit our historic Old Market, where you can find a number of unique shops, galleries, and restaurants.
- Joslyn Art Musuem. As Nebraska's largest and most distinguished art museum, the Joslyn Art Museum offers a wide range of exhibitions, music, and educational programs.
- Omaha Children's Museum. The goal of this museum is to engage the imagination and create an excitement about learning through various exhibits, programs, and group learning opportunities.
- Strategic Air & Space Museum. Visit this museum, affiliated with Offutt Air Force Base, to learn about math, science, engineering, aviation, and space through traveling and permanent exhibits and educational programs.
- Qwest Center Omaha. This state-of-the-art arena is Nebraska's premier entertainment and sports venue. The convention center attracts thousands of visitors to Omaha each year. The arena is home to the Creighton Bluejays home basketball games, and Internal Medicine residents have tickets available to them free of charge through the department.
- Omaha Botanical Gardens. The garden hosts thousands of visitors annually and consists of 100 acres designed to provide visitors an opportunity to view a variety of foliage, flowers and fruits of plants from around the world.
- The Omaha Symphony. From Beethoven to Bach, fantastic performances abound at the Omaha Symphony. The Orpheum Theater also hosts other concerts throughout the year.
- The Omaha Community Playhouse. Numerous acts perform here and are usually sold out. Internal Medicine residents have free tickets available through the department!
- Nebraska Game & Parks Commission. Visit here to learn more about the fantastic outdoor opportunities awaiting you near Omaha and throughout the rest of the state. Nearby is the Mahoney State Park, which offers 700 acres of fun including horseback riding, swimming, hiking trails and more. There are also numerous area lakes and rivers for fishing and recreation.
- Omaha Bike & Walking Trails. Here is a map listing all of the Omaha area bike and walking trails.
- The Henry Doorly Zoo's Wildlife Safari. A great drive-through adventure where you can discover North American animals just like Lewis and Clark saw on their journey hundreds of years ago!
- Fontenelle Forest. With over 26 miles of trails near the Missouri River, this forest has a lot to offer. You can see all types incredible flowers, plants, trees, birds, and deer, as well as numerous other animals and natural events in this beautiful forest!
- NCAA Men's College World Series. This exciting event comes to Omaha every June. Be sure not to miss your chance to attend one of these memorable games.