College of Nursing

When is the application deadline? / What is rolling admission?

There are no application deadlines! Creighton College of Nursing admits students into the Accelerated program on a rolling basis. This means that as soon as an application is complete, it is reviewed by our admissions committee.

When should I apply?

Admissions decisions are made quickly, and our programs may fill rapidly.  This is why it is important to apply as early as possible. Each class has an established maximum enrollment of 48-56 students depending on the semester you begin the program.  Consequently, we encourage you to apply early. We will notify you if for some reason you apply to a program that is already full and work with you to find an alternative future class that meets your educational objectives.

Do I have to have all my prerequisite courses done before I can apply to the program? Where should I complete any prerequisite courses that I still need to take?

Prerequisite courses may be completed at any accredited institution and need to be completed before you begin the program. Students are advised to inquire if certain courses will meet these requirements. Student files will be considered for admission after they have completed one of the following course sequences: a) Two Chemistry courses and either Anatomy or Physiology OR b) Anatomy and Physiology and one Chemistry course. However, all prerequisite courses do need to be completed prior to beginning the program.

What if my GPA is below a 3.0?

We do prefer a minimum GPA of a 3.0 however we do review all complete applications and weigh acceptance on every aspect of the application which includes your personal statement and recommendation forms. We calculate a cumulative GPA of all of your previous undergraduate coursework, which also includes prerequisite courses. A GPA below 3.0 could be grounds for a decline.

How do I know what prerequisite courses I have already taken?

If you have any questions regarding what prerequisite courses you have, you may contact our admissions counselors to set up an appointment or arrange for a copy of your unofficial transcripts to be sent for an unofficial review.

What financial aid is available?

You will complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) to qualify for federal aid. Since the Accelerated program is a second degree program, there are not as many scholarships that are readily available. The College of Nursing does offer need-based and endowed scholarships once you are physically a student here, but is not awarded upon acceptance into the program. You are welcome to contact Creighton's Financial Aid Office with further questions at 402-280-2731.

Can I still work during the program?

Working through the 12 months of the Accelerated program is not only not recommended, but also not very feasible. This program is extremely intense, and there will not be time left to work once the demands of coursework have been met.

Do I need letters of recommendation?

We require the completion of three recommendation forms which we provide. We need one recommendation from someone in academia, an employer/supervisor, and the third one can be your choice but we do not accept family or friend recommendations. We will accept letters of recommendation only as supporting documentation.

What if I get put on the waiting list?

If you are placed on a wait list for a class that becomes full, your application will be rolled over to automatically begin with the next class so you will never be denied to our program because of a space issue. Our classes begin in August and January in Omaha, Nebraska and August in Hastings, Nebraska.

Should I apply through NursingCAS?

You are not required to submit an application through NursingCAS, however, if you are required to use the system for another school, you are welcome to designate Creighton as well. We will accept your transcripts as official and your recommendations; however, we also require a supplemental application that can be completed through the College of Nursing's website to include more specific information, as well as a more in depth personal statement.

I attended Creighton University for my previous degree. Do I still need to request Creighton University transcripts?

Yes. Your transcripts are your personal property and the Registrar's office will not release those to anyone without your permission.

Where should I have my transcripts mailed?

All transcripts for the Accelerated program can be mailed to:

Carla Hodder
Creighton School of Nursing
2500 California Plaza
Omaha, NE 68178

If your college or university sends electronic transcripts, they can be emailed to Carla directly at

Creighton University College of Nursing • 2500 California Plaza • Omaha NE • 68178 • 402-280-2000 • 800-544-5071
WebMaster • Copyright ©2014 • Creighton University