Community Outreach Facts
Our World. Our Promise.
Creighton University, a Catholic, Jesuit University in Omaha, Neb., operates in partnership with communities locally, regionally, nationally and globally to share new knowledge, advance scientific discovery, serve the poor and marginalized, care for the sick, engage complex societal issues, improve the social and economic landscape, and educate ethical leaders who will pursue a more just world. Below are some quick facts and figures highlighting Creighton’s community outreach.
- Creighton students, faculty and staff are involved in more than 600 outreach programs locally, regionally, nationally and internationally and contribute more than 68,000 volunteer hours to the needy of Omaha.
- By drawing more than 70 percent of its students from outside the state, Creighton contributes to Nebraska’s “brain gain.” In the Omaha area alone, 27 percent of physicians, 69 percent of dentists, 59 percent of pharmacists and 72 percent of occupational therapists are Creighton graduates.
- Since 2000, Creighton has invested more than $285 million into campus improvements. Creighton’s construction and expansion have complemented Omaha’s downtown renaissance.
- Creighton’s School of Pharmacy and Health Professions was one of four pharmacy schools nationwide to earn the Student Community Engaged Service Award in 2009-2010.
- Creighton’s School of Dentistry has provided free dental care to underinsured children through the “Give Kids a Smile” campaign for the last decade.
- Creighton University’s impact on Nebraska’s economy exceeds $760 million annually.
- Creighton faculty-scientists are renowned for scientific research, advancing public health in such areas as cancer, osteoporosis, diabetes, obesity, neurosciences and cardiovascular disease.
- 81 percent of Creighton University alumni responding to recent surveys reported being involved in at least one volunteer organization.
- Creighton University Medical Center provided more than $28 million in charity care in 2008, while nearly 225 Creighton Medical Associates physicians provide high- quality primary and specialty care to patients at locations throughout Omaha.
- Creighton was one of fewer than 130 schools nationwide named to the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll with distinction for exemplary service in 2009 and 2008. Creighton was recognized as a “best neighbor” university in a 2009 national ranking.
- With some 21 million hits a year, Creighton University’s Online Ministries service provides spiritual sustenance and guidance to millions across the country and around the world.
- Through Creighton University’s Service Trip program, some 300 students travel to more than three dozen sites across the nation over spring and fall breaks.
- Creighton University’s international outreach includes its Institute for Latin American Concern, which, for more than three decades, has offered undergraduate and professional students the opportunity to learn, to serve and to be served in the Dominican Republic.
Learn more about Creighton University’s community relations online at creighton.edu/communityrelations.
For more information, contact Joyce Davis Bunger, special assistant to the president for community relations, 402.280.2029 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Updated: March 2010.