Creighton Exudes Holiday Spirit
Through the “Holiday Spirit Project,” faculty, staff and administrators at Creighton University are reaching out, in a coordinated effort, to those less fortunate in the community. More than 20 programs or community projects are being helped this year. Donations to the project have varied over the years, from helping an elderly couple with home repairs to adopting families at Christmas to providing gifts to the Rosebud Reservation.
The project began as a Christmas food drive more than 20 years ago and has become an annual holiday outreach, providing help to those in need from Thanksgiving to New Year. Coordination is provided by a Holiday Spirit Committee and all University departments get into the act.
Here are just a few activity highlights:
- Laurie Massa (MAGIS/Education) and her daughter, Sunny are celebrating Sunny’s birthday in a different way this year. She celebrates her 12th birthday on Dec. 10 and in lieu of gifts, she and her mom decided to support Creighton’s Holiday Spirit campaign.
- For the second straight year, faculty, residents and staff of the Pathology/Creighton Medical Laboratories Department will sponsor a single mom with 10 kids, five biological and five foster.
- Many departments assist with Fr. Paul Strittmatter's annual "Santa run" to the Rosebud Reservation near Valentine, S.D.
- Working with Catholic Charities St. Martin de Porres and their Family to Family Christmas Giving Program, The Center for Service and Justice adopts more than 40 families for Christmas and provides gifts and food supplies.
- Others help with Project Welcome, a program developed by Creighton's own Joan Mueller, Ph.D., (theology) to assist Sudanese refugee families in Omaha.
- The Campus Quilters annually raffle off a Holiday Spirit quilt, made by the members, with the proceeds going to Catholic Charities’ Shelter for Abused Women and Children. This year, the group raised close to $700.
- Occupational Therapy faculty assist with the Omaha Street School, an alternative, Christian high school established by Creighton law alum. Check out the website at http://www.creighton.edu/HolidaySpirit/ for more information.