Archbishop of Omaha Consecrates New Altar at St. Johnís Church
A full house attended the consecration of the new altar at St. Johnís Church on Creighton campus on Saturday, July 28, 2007. Archbishop Elden Francis Curtiss conducted the blessing and offered the Mass. The Mass marked the return of the parish community to the main Church for its liturgies following two years of renovations to the historic neo-Gothic landmark built in 1888. The renovations were designed to improve the infrastructure of the Church and to update the worship space in the heart of Creighton Universityís campus.
Some of the renovations include:
- Repair of selected stain glass
- Cleaning and repairing stonework
- New heating and air conditioning
- Painting, flooring, lighting, new sound system and a modified arrangement of pews and altars.
- New features including a chapel of reservation, reconciliation and an updated baptismal font.
- Establishing a larger gathering space and welcoming area in the front of the church.