Historic Building Dedicated to Creighton Founders
The former M. F. Shafer & Co. Building at 1624 Webster St., was officially dedicated as the Wareham Building on the Creighton University campus during a May 21 ceremony.
The Wareham sisters were instrumental in founding the University. Creighton University was established as Creighton College in 1878 through a gift from Mary Lucretia Wareham Creighton, who stipulated in her will that a school be created in memory of her husband, prominent Omaha businessman Edward Creighton. Edward's brother John and his wife, Sara Emily Wareham Creighton (Mary’s sister), are credited with fostering and sustaining the University's early growth and enlarging its endowment.
Attending the dedication ceremonies were University students, faculty and staff as well as donors and their family and friends. The O’Keefe Elevator Company, which generously donated the building’s elevator in honor and memory of the company’s former president, the late Denis J. “Skip” O’Keefe III, was also recognized.
The M. F. Shafer & Co. Building has been listed as in the National Register of Historic Places since 2002. Built in 1917 and designed in the Commercial style of architecture, it was first used as a printing company and then became a warehouse in 1925. In the 1970s, it was acquired by the O’Keefe Elevator Company for storing new elevators before they were installed.
The newly refurbished, five-story office building, today houses Creighton University Relations staff and Creighton Medical Associates.