Creighton Speech Team Achieves Success
The Creighton University Speech Team placed second in a regional competition at the University of Nebraska Omaha’s tournament Oct. 31 and 15th at a national competition at the L. E. Norton Tournament, Nov. 6-7, out of 38 teams competing. The Norton placement is the highest Creighton has ranked at a national tournament of this size in the last five years.
Students competing at UNO included: Chris Fowler, senior; Sarah Giesler, junior; Joel Mapes, sophomore; Matt Cockerill, sophomore; Katie Porter, sophomore and Mary Metz, freshman.
At the University of Nebraska Omaha’s Tournament, individual results were:
- Cockerill, fourth in Informative Speaking.
- Fowler, first in Individual Sweepstakes; second in Prose Interpretation; second in Program Oral Interpretation; third in Poetry Interpretation; and second in Dramatic Duo with Katie Porter.
- Giesler, first in Dramatic Interpretation.
- Mapes, second in Extemporaneous Speaking and second in Impromptu Speaking.
- Porter, second in Dramatic Duo with Fowler.
At the L. E. Norton Tournament, individual results were Chris Fowler, second out of 65 competitors in Poetry Interpretation and Mary Metz, 12th in Dramatic Interpretation out of 62 competitors.
Other speech team members who competed at the Norton tournament were Claire Wolnisty, senior; Joel Mapes, sophomore; Katie Porter, sophomore; Annelise Ewing, freshman; and Beth Kampschnieder, freshman.