Creighton University Celebrates Founders Week
Each year Creighton University celebrates its founders with a series of events during Founders Week. These events focus primarily on honoring students, faculty and administrators who make significant contributions to the University.
A highlight of each year is the annual Convocation address by Creighton President, the Rev. John P. Schlegel, S.J., that summarizes the past year’s accomplishments, the state of the University and insights for the future.
Founders Week 2010 begins with the Founders Week Mass at 10:30 a.m. Sunday, Feb. 7 in St. John’s Church, where two University employees will receive the 2010 St. Ignatius Award.
Sister Helen Prejean, C.S.J., award-winning author of "Dead Man Walking" and an outspoken critic of the death penalty will present a lecture titled “Dead Man Walking—The Journey Continues,” at 7 p.m. on Monday, Feb. 8, at the Harper Center, Hixson-Lied Auditorium. The lecture is free and open to the public.
Fr. Schlegel’s annual Convocation address will take place at 3:45 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 9, in the Harper Center, Hixson-Lied Auditorium. Following his remarks, faculty members with 25 years of service to the University will be honored, emeriti promotions will be conferred and distinguished administrator, faculty and research awards will also be presented. They include:
- Distinguished Administrative Service Award—Mary Beth Bestenlehner, assistant dean of University College.
- Distinguished Faculty Service Award—Frank Ayers, D.D.S., associate dean for student affairs, School of Dentistry.
- University Research Award—Michael G. Cherney, Ph.D., professor of physics, College of Arts and Sciences.
- Clinical Professor Emeritus of Medicine—John T. Hartigan, M.D.
- Clinical Associate Professor Emeritus of Medicine—Michael J. Weaver, M.D.
- Professor Emeritus of General Dentistry—Paul E. Tamisiea, D.D.S.
- Professor Emeritus of Periodontics, John S. Mattson, D.D.S.
The list of faculty receiving 25-year service awards can be found at Honorees.
On Thursday, Feb. 11, Mary Lucretia and Sarah Emily Creighton Award winners Rachel Bloom and Gail Jensen, Ph.D., will be recognized during the annual Committee on the Status of Women luncheon in the Harper Center Ahmanson Ballroom.
To view a complete schedule of events, visit the Founders Week web page at: http://www.creighton.edu/events/foundersweek/index.php.