Each year Creighton University celebrates its founders with a series of events during Founders Week. This year’s activities include a special Mass, a student-led mobile app scavenger hunt, the dedication of a Nebraska historical marker and recognition of students, faculty and administrators who make significant contributions to the University.
A highlight each year is the annual Convocation address by the University’s President. Timothy R. Lannon, S.J., Creighton’s 24th president, will deliver his first Convocation address summarizing the year’s accomplishments, the state of the University and insights and challenges for the future.
Founders Week 2012 begins with the Founders Week Mass at noon Monday, Feb. 6, at St. John’s Church.
Students and faculty members will be recognized by Omicron Delta Kappa, a national student honor society, for their leadership and effectiveness in collegiate activities. The awards presentation is Monday, Feb. 6, from 4:30-5:30 p.m. in the Skutt Student Center ballroom.
The University will also dedicate its “Before Creighton” Nebraska Historical Society marker, a sign celebrating the roots and interaction of Native American and Creighton histories and partnerships. A short presentation and a Native American memorial prayer ceremony will take place Feb. 7 at 2:30 p.m. in the Opus Hall Community Room.
Fr. Lannon makes his first Convocation address at 4 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 7, in the Harper Center, Hixson-Lied Auditorium. Following his remarks, two faculty members filling vacancies in endowed chairmanships will be recognized; faculty members with 25 years of service to the University will be honored; several emeriti promotions will be conferred; and distinguished administrator, faculty and research awards will be presented. They include:
- Beverly Kracher, Ph.D., The Robert B. Daugherty Endowed Chair in Business Ethics and Society
- Terry W. Wilwerding, D.D.S., The Dr. Oscar S. Belzer Endowed Chair in Dentistry
- University Research Award – Robert R. Recker, M.D., professor of Medicine, chief, division of Endocrinology; director, Osteoporosis Research Center Juliane S. Strauss–Soukoup, Ph.D., professor of Biochemistry.
- Distinguished Faculty Service Award -- Devendra K. Agrawal, Ph.D., associate dean for Translational Research, professor of Biomedical Sciences
- Distinguished Administrator Service Award – J. Chris Bradberry, PharmD., dean, School of Pharmacy and Health Professions.
The list of faculty receiving 25-year service awards and emeritus promotions can be found at Honorees.
On Thursday, Feb. 9, Mary Lucretia and Sarah Emily Creighton Award winners Katie Del Vecchio, senior, Arts and Sciences: Elizabeth Elliot-Meisel, Ph.D., associate professor of History: and Tanya Winegard, Ph.D., associate vice president for Student Life, will be recognized during the annual Committee on the Status of Women luncheon in the Harper Center Ahmanson Ballroom.
To view a complete schedule of events, visit the Founders Week web page at: http://www.creighton.edu/events/foundersweek/index.php.