Creighton University ranks seventh nationally in Washington Monthly’s 2013 master’s universities rankings. The monthly nonprofit magazine of United States politics and government ranks schools based on their contribution to the public good.
Rankings are based on three broad criteria:
- Social mobility—recruiting and graduating low-income students;
- Research—fostering scientific and humanistic research; and
- Service—encouraging students to give back to their country.
“Part of the academic mission of Creighton is to enable students – through service learning, the critical thinking and discovery process, and a sense of community – to look beyond themselves and make a difference in the world,” said Creighton President Timothy R. Lannon, S.J. “It is gratifying when outside institutions recognize our powerful purpose.”
Indicators of Creighton’s commitment in the three criteria include:
- Creighton students, faculty and staff were involved in more than 800 programs locally, regionally, nationally and internationally last year, contributing more than 389,000 volunteer hours to the needy. Service-learning is a key component of the curriculum.
- Research awards to Creighton University for the 2012-13 academic year totaled $28.8 million. Creighton is also forming a Center for Undergraduate Research and Scholarship (CURAS), to serve as a centralized area for information on available undergraduate research and scholarship opportunities, with an interdisciplinary approach across campus.
- More than 96 percent of Creighton graduates are employed or attending graduate/professional school within six months of graduation. The national average is between 70 and 80 percent.
- For the 2013-14 academic year, 16 percent of Creighton freshmen are first-generation college students and nearly a quarter are students of color. Eighty percent of the freshman class is from outside Nebraska and 47 percent is from more than 400 miles away. Additional information is available at http://www.creighton.edu/publicrelations/newscenter/news/2013/august2013/august132013/freshman2013nr081313/index.php