International Students

International Student Opportunities.


Creighton University Student Employment Office
2500 California Plaza
Harper Center, Room 1100
Omaha, NE 68178

Local: 402-280-2457
Fax: 402-280-2895

Email us

Student Employment Orientation 2016-17

Go here for a powerpoint presentation for new International Students seeking information about Student Employment on campus.

What Employers Should Know

What Employers Should Know

 International Students  ... what employers should know when hiring

The following information is provided by the CU Global Engagement Office.


  • A student must be enrolled at least half time to keep a student employee status. Half time enrollment for undergraduates is 6 credit hours and 3 credit hours for graduate students.
  • F-1 students can work on-campus up to 20 hours/ week during semester and full-time during vacations and breaks
  • F-1 students do not need special permission to work on-campus
  • Will need official US Social Security card by the end of the calendar year in which they worked.  Report SS# to Creighton Payroll, Registrar and Business Office.
  • Will need to see Creighton Coordinator/DSO to get SS#
  • F-1 can not work off campus without work authorization


  • J-1 students need permission from the Responsible Officer/Coordinator for on-campus work
  • Can work up to 20 hours/week during semester and full time during vacations and breaks
  • J-1 can not work off-campus without work authorization


  • Meet with Coordinator/DSO regarding off-campus employment
  • Limited to:
    • Optional Practical Training (OPT)
    • Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
    • Need based work permit


  • Have the option to get work experience in their field of study for 12 months
  • Must apply for OPT before completion of studies
  • Current School responsible for maintaining SEVIS record of student on OPT
  • Student on OPT must report change of name/ address and interruption of employment to DSO at school who recommended OPT
  • OPT automatically terminated when student transfers to another school or begins a new program at the same school


  • Allows students to engage in employment in their major field of study during their course of study
  • Needs to be an integral part of the curriculum
  • Must receive academic credit for CPT or internship
  • Authorization in granted by DSO/Coordinator/ International Student Advisor
  • Must get authorization before beginning internship


  • All students and scholars and their dependents on the F, J and M visas must file forms with the International Revenue Service whether they earn income or not

Social Security Number (required for on-campus employment)

Social Security Number (required for on-campus employment)

In order to get a SSN from the Social Security Administration, international students must demonstrate that they have received a job offer.  A letter must be obtained from the Designated School Official, (DSO) and it should be on university letterhead (form letters are available in the Creighton Global Engagement Office.)  Both the Creighton hiring supervisor and the DSO must sign it.  Student will then present it to the SSA.  When student receives SSN card in mail (usually takes 3 weeks) they should bring card to Registrar to update info and also show it to the Student Employment Office, Harper Center rm 2054. Local Social Security Administration  is located in Old Mill Center, 604 No. 109 Circle, Omaha NE.  402-496-3520, 800-772-1213.

Forms necessary for employment on campus

Forms necessary for employment on campus

At time of hire, all students are required to complete the following forms:

  • Federal I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification form. View I-9 form with a complete list of acceptable documents.
  • W4 for income tax withholding
  • Direct deposit for paychecks

Please go to this link to view forms.

International Students here on F-1 or J-1 VISAS are required to show an unexpired foreign passport with I-94 and I-20 when being hired.

Download your I-94.

Letter from the Global Engagement Office to apply for a social security number.

More information about F1 and J1 visa status students.  Department of Homeland Security ICE



I-20 – Certificate of Eligibility form issued to students on the F-1 Student visa

DS-2019 – Certificate of Eligibility form issue to students and scholar’s on the J-1 Visa

DSO - Designated School Official, authorized to issue and sign I-20’s.  Here the

 DSO, Coordinator and International Student Advisor refer to the same person.

RO/ARO - Responsible Officer/Alternate Responsible Officer – Persons authorized to issue the DS-2019’s for students and scholars on the J-1 visa. The ARO and Coordinator are the same person.

OIP – Office of International Programs

USCIS- United States Citizen and Immigration Services

CPT – Curricular Practical Training

OPT – Optional Practical Training