International Students and Employment
The following information is provided by the CU Office of International Programs and is current as of November 2007.
EMPLOYMENT FOR F-1 STUDENTS
- F-1 students can work on-campus up to 20 hours/ week during semester and full-time during vacations and breaks
- F-1 students do not need special permission to work on-campus
- Will need official US Social Security card by the end of the calendar year in which they worked. Report SS# to Creighton Payroll, Registrar and Business Office.
- Will need to see Creighton Coordinator/DSO to get SS#
- F-1 can not work off campus without work authorization
EMPLOYMENT FOR J-1 STUDENTS
- J-1 students need permission from the Responsible Officer/Coordinator for on-campus work
- Can work up to 20 hours/week during semester and full time during vacations and breaks
- J-1 can not work off-campus without work authorization
- Meet with Coordinator/DSO regarding off-campus employment
- Limited to:
- Optional Practical Training (OPT)
- Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
- Need based work permit
OPTIONAL PRACTICAL TRAINING
- Have the option to get work experience in their field of study for 12 months
- Must apply for OPT before completion of studies
- Current School responsible for maintaining SEVIS record of student on OPT
- Student on OPT must report change of name/ address and interruption of employment to DSO at school who recommended OPT
- OPT automatically terminated when student transfers to another school or begins a new program at the same school
CURRICULAR PRACTICAL TRAINING
- Allows students to engage in employment in their major field of study during their course of study
- Needs to be an integral part of the curriculum
- Must receive academic credit for CPT or internship
- Authorization in granted by DSO/Coordinator/ International Student Advisor
- Must get authorization before beginning internship
- All students and scholars and their dependents on the F, J and M visas must file forms with the International Revenue Service whether they earn income or not
Social Security Number (required for on-campus employment)
In order to get a SSN from the Social Security Administration, international students must demonstrate that they have received a job offer. A letter must be obtained from the Designated School Official, (DSO) and it should be on university letterhead (form letters are available in the OIP office, Harper Center rm 4036). Both the Creighton hiring supervisor and the DSO must sign it. Student will then present it to the SSA. When student receives SSN card in mail (usually takes 3 weeks) they should bring card to Registrar to update info and also show it to the Student Employment Office, Harper Center rm 2054. Local Social Security Administration is located in Old Mill Center, 604 No. 109 Circle, Omaha NE. 402-496-3520, 800-772-1213.
Forms necessary for employment on campus
At time of hire, all students are required to complete the following forms:
- Federal I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification form. View I-9 form with a complete list of acceptable documents.
- W4 for income tax withholding
- Direct deposit for paychecks
Please go to this link to view forms.
International Students here on F-1 or J-1 VISAS are required to show an unexpired foreign passport with I-94 and I-20 when being hired.
I-20 – Certificate of Eligibility form issued to students on the F-1 Student visa
DS-2019 – Certificate of Eligibility form issue to students and scholar’s on the J-1 Visa
DSO - Designated School Official, authorized to issue and sign I-20’s. Here the
DSO, Coordinator and International Student Advisor refer to the same person.
RO/ARO - Responsible Officer/Alternate Responsible Officer – Persons authorized to issue the DS-2019’s for students and scholars on the J-1 visa. The ARO and Coordinator are the same person.
OIP – Office of International Programs
USCIS- United States Citizen and Immigration Services
CPT – Curricular Practical Training
OPT – Optional Practical Training