Creighton's John P. Fahey Career Center, located in Harper Center suite 2015, can help you hone your resume writing and interviewing skills. Set up an appointment with them today!
- Convey interest in the job position
- Have some basic knowledge about what the company does, how long it has been in operation etc.
- Review your qualifications mentally
- Arrive 15 minutes early
- Go alone
- Use direct eye contact but don't stare
- Be prepared to think on your feet
- If you cannot keep a scheduled appointment, notify the interviewer immediately; ask to reschedule
- Bring an updated resume
- When filling out the application, answer all questions, don't indicate "refer to resume."
- Check your spelling!!!
- If hired, be prepared to show, in person, a valid photo ID and an ORIGINAL document that proves you are eligible to work in the United States. Some commonly acceptable documents are: Social Security card, birth certificate, US Passport. Scroll to the last page of the I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification form for a complete list of acceptable documents.
- Be passive or overly aggressive
- Worry about momentary silence
- Answer an open-ended question with a "yes/no" and nothing else
- Underestimate the interviewer
- Criticize former employers/companies
- Indicate that you have no idea what you what to do, but you need a job
- Interview the interviewer
Some of the WORST questions asked by applicants:
- Who gets the frequent flier miles?
- Can you tell me about your retirement plan?
- The job description mentions weekend work. Do I really have to do that?
- What does your company do?
- What does your company consider a good absenteeism record?
- Do you have free parking?
Here are some better questions:
- Could you describe what a typical day or week on the job might be like?
- At my level, what type of working relationship would I have with people from other areas of the firm?
- Is this position available because of growth in the company or has
someone recently left the position?
- Why is this position important to the company?
- You seem so excited about the company. How did your career develop here?