While Abroad


If I plan to travel independently while I am abroad, do I need to inform anyone about my travel plans? 

Yes, absolutely! It is very common for students to travel to nearby cities or countries during weekends or breaks.  Many students make arrangements to travel and sightsee with other students on their same program. If you plan to travel within or outside of your host country at anytime while abroad, you should plan to notify the Study Abroad Coordinator, your on-site directors, and your parents. This is extremely important in the case of an emergency either abroad or at home.  Someone should know how to contact you at all times.  When your travel plans are finalized, send an email to the Study Abroad Coordinator including your travel dates, transportation information (flight/bus/train numbers, dates, and times), and hotel contacts.  

Can I register for a course that I did not have pre-approved before my departure?

Yes.  You may find that a course you had pre-approved is no longer offered or you may have discovered a new class that you would like to take.  For whatever reason, if you plan to register for a course that you did not have pre-approved, you should email the Study Abroad Coordinator as soon as possible, and ideally before you enroll in the course. In your email, include the course title, description, and the hours of instruction.  The Study Abroad Coordinator will contact the Dean's Office and/or the Department Chair on your behalf.  This process may take some time, so plan to contact the Study Abroad Coordinator as soon as you know of your interest in the course-do not wait until the final day of registration at your host institution.  You will be contacted by email regarding the course equivalency information.  Keep in mind that you should have planned for this occurrence and obtained approval for additional course options prior to your departure. 

What if my classes abroad are easier than I expected and I would like to travel instead of attending classes?

This is NOT a good idea.  Educational systems vary greatly in each country.  You may not have daily homework or assignments.  You may not have regular quizzes or exams either.  In many countries, students are expected to take responsibility for their own learning.  Although attendance may not be graded, you WILL be responsible for any content that was covered on the course syllabus including all texts, reading assignments, and material discussed during lectures.  Keep in mind, that the grade that you receive in the course is likely to be solely dependent upon the final exam! We do recognize that much of your learning while abroad will occur outside of the classroom, but you should plan your travel activities around your course schedule.  Remember, you are studying abroad!

How will I register for courses at Creighton for the next term?
It is likely that you will need to register for courses at Creighton for the term following your study abroad experience.  You will receive your PIN number and registration time via your Creighton email account.  You will only be eligible to receive your PIN number and registration time if there are no holds on your student account. You are responsible for registering at the designated time.  If you have a scheduling conflict or do not have access to internet, you should contact your academic or RSP advisor.  You are encouraged to discuss course options and your four-year plan with your academic or RSP advisor prior to departure. If you need an override to enroll in a course, please contact the professor to inquire about permission to enroll in the course.

What should I do if I lose my passport?

If you lose your passport while abroad, the first thing you should do is to notify your on-site directors. The next thing that you will need to do is to notify the nearest U.S. Embassy that your passport has been lost or stolen. You should have kept a copy of your passport in a location separate from the original, for this purpose.  For additional information about replacing a lost or stolen passport, visit U.S. Department of State Website.

How can the U.S. Embassy assist me while I am abroad?

Consular officials at U.S. Embassies help U.S. citizens abroad. To help the U.S. Embassy assist you while you are abroad, be sure to register your trip with the Department of State prior to your departure. Consular officials provide many different services both emergency and non-emergency services. Emergency services include assistance with:

  • replacing a passport
  • finding medical assistance
  • getting funds (if you lose all of your money)
  • contacting your family in the U.S. during an emergency
  • visiting you in jail
  • making arrangements after the death of an American
  • assisting during a disaster or evacuation

The U.S. Embassy CANNOT get you out of jail. While abroad, you are subject to the laws of the host country.  For more information regarding the services that a U.S. Embassy can provide, please visit the U.S. Department of State?s website.

What should I do if my parents want to visit me?

If your parents would like to visit you in your host city/country, it is best if they come after your program has ended and after you have completed your final exams.  Your family will likely want you to be their "tour guide" and ask you to show them "the sights."  It is very rewarding to share your experience with family members, however, you will want to make sure that your family's visit does not interrupt your coursework, field trips, or program excursions. You should notify your on-site directors regarding your family's visit and itinerary, especially if they will require accommodations.