Werner Institute > Events & News
Events Hosted or Sponsored by the Werner Institute
Stay up to date with the latest events and news of the Werner Institute at our Facebook and Twitter pages.
- The Werner Institute is offering a special intensive course this summer open to the community. Public Policy: Conflict and Community Engagement will look at the role of conflict specialists, public officials (e.g. planners, project managers, elected officials, department heads), and community activists in public policy decision making. We will consider various approaches to convening, designing, and facilitating public policy dialogues and other approaches to effective community engagement.
The course will meet 8 times over two weeks as follows:
Week 1: June 23-27, 4PM - 7PM
Week 2: July 14-18, 4PM - 7PM
For information on registering for this course please visit the course information page.
- You are all invited to Jacqueline Font-Guzmán's next World Café Dialogue will be in North Omaha on March 11, 2014!
The Werner Institute and Center for Health and Policy and Ethics at Creighton University in collaboration with Heart Ministry Center will be hosting a World Café Dialogue to explore ways to raise awareness, share perspectives and knowledge on dying and advance care planning, and to hear narratives that Nebraskans may wish to share. Help us spread the word! For more information see the flyer.
- In recognition of ABA Conflict Resolution Day, please join us for a presentation by Dr. Julie Macfarlane, Professor of Law, University of Windsor, as she discusses The Self-Represented Litigant Phenomenon: What it means for mediators, the legal profession, the judiciary and the justice system, 4:00 PM, Thursday, October 17, 2013, Creighton University, Harper Center Room 3028. Click here for more details. This presentation has been approved for CLE credit in NE and IA.
- Starting the Conversation: First Steps Toward Articulating and Defining a Good Death in Nebraska- Medically, Legally and Interpersonally:Bellevue Medical Center on Wednesday, October 30, 2013 from 4:30-7:30. The Werner Institute and Center for Health and Policy and Ethics at Creighton University will be hosting a World Café Dialogue to explore ways to raise awareness, share perspectives and knowledge on dying and advance care planning, and to hear narratives that Nebraskans may wish to share. Help us spread the word! RSVP required. The event is free of charge. Please click here for more information.
- Starting the Conversation: First Steps Toward Articulating and Defining a Good Death in Nebraska- Medically, Legally and Interpersonally: Creighton University on Saturday, August 24th from 9am - 12:30 pm, The Werner Institute and Center for Health and Policy and Ethics at Creighton University will be hosting a World Café Dialogue to explore ways to raise awareness, share perspectives and knowledge on dying and advance care planning, and to hear narratives that Nebraskans may wish to share. Help us spread the word! RSVP required. The event is free of cost. Please click here for more information.
- Get Comfortable with Conflict: Are you interested in an innovative graduate program which focuses on leadership, collaboration and constructive conflict engagement? Join us Tuesday, June 4, 2013 5-7 p.m. for a complimentary introductory skills building workshop to increase your comfort with conflict. This will be followed up with some information regarding our degree programs that can bring you to the next level in your career. A reception with hosted appetizers will start the evening at 5pm and the program will start at 5:30. The event will take place here at Creighton University's School of Law. For more information and to RSVP follow this link: http://alumni.creighton.edu/wernerconflictskills
- The Werner Institute once again partnered with Film Streams for an evening of film and discussion. On Wednesday, February 27th, 2013 @ 7pm, Film Streams screened the film Pray the Devil Back to Hell. The film was followed by a panel discussion coordinated and moderated by the Werner Institute. More info: http://www.filmstreams.org/filmstreams_calendar.aspx?ID=1066
- Mediation in the Mainstream is a presentation by Daniel Rainey, an internationally renowned expert in conflict resolution. This presentation took place on October 17th at the Creighton University School of Law from 4:30 - 5:30 with a reception to follow. This presentation was developed as the Werner Institute's contribution to the ABA DR section's Mediation Week events. You may still view the lecture if you happened to miss the live event by clicking on the following link: Mediation in the Mainstream Archive.
- Cyberweek 2012. Cyberweek is in its 15th year as the premiere annual conference focusing on the world of Online Dispute Resolution. This is the third time the Werner Institute will hosted it via the ADRHub. The conference was completely archived and can be viewed at the following URL: http://www.adrhub.com/page/cyberweek-2012
- Peacemaking in Madagascar with Reverend Hubert Rakotoarivony. Rev. Rakotoarivony spoke to his experiences as a resource person at the Christian Council in Madagascar on the forgiveness, peace, justice, and reconciliation process.
The event took place on Tuesday, October 9th from 11:30 - 1:00 in the Skutt Student Center Room 105.
The lecture was brought to you through a collaborative effort by the African Studies Program, History Department, Justice & Peace Studies Program, Kripke Center for the Study of Religion & Society, Presbytery of Missouri River Valley, and the Werner Institute for Negotiation & Dispute Resolution.
- 2012 Werner Institute and Film Streams Collaboration: Thursday, March 1st, 2012 @ 7pm, The Werner Institute in collaboration with Film Streams will welcome Northern Ireland film maker Declan Keeney for a screening of his two documentaries, We Are Not Afraid and We Carried Your Secrets at Film Streams' Ruth Sokolof Theater. The films will be followed by a conversation with Mr. Keeney.
- The Werner Institute will be facilitating a pair of focus groups for a research project regarding patient centered health research on January 23rd and 24th, 2012 from 5:30-7:30pm. We are currently looking for participants. If you are over 19 and would like to participate, please contact Anat Cabili (email@example.com or 402-280-3584). There is a $50 gift certificate provided to participants. Please click here to view the flyer.
- The Werner Institute is proud to partner with the Asian World Center to host a lecture by Dr. Akaha on Old and New Conflicts: Japan and the Great Powers. This lecture took place on November 15th, 2011 from 12:30pm - 1:30pm Click here to view the flyer for the event.
- The AALS 2011 Works-In-Progress Conference will be hosted by the Werner Institute at Creighton University November 4th and 5th, 2011.
- Cyberweek 2011 - The annual, virtual conference dedicated to the innovations and developments in Online Dispute Resolution took place October 24th - October 28th, 2011.
- Harold Good's "An Unfinished Journey" lecture took place Wednesday, October 5th at 7:30pm at the Hixson-Lied Auditorium of the Harper Center, in which he spoke about his experiences in creating peace in Northern Ireland.
- Keys to Effective Arbitration Advocacy: A Workshop Conducted by a Leading Arbitrator, Practitioner, and Professor Jay McCauley. Saturday, April 30th, 2011.
- The 2011 TePoel Lecture is being held this year in cooperation with the Werner Institute. The lecture Transforming Conflict with a New Framework: A Strategic Priority for the United States will be presented by Dr. Cynthia G. Irmer on March 25th, 2011. (Click this link to watch the video of the lecture.)
- Cyberweek 2010, October 25 through 29, 2010. A web-based conference on the world of online dispute resolution. Click here to view the archives of the webinars and discussions.
- What does Conflict Resolution have to do with Jesuit Values? - A discussion led by Werner Institute faculty members Mary Lee Brock and Ran Kuttner.
- Conflict in Films: A three-film series - February 11th, 18th, and 24th, 2010
- Mini-conference on Collaborative Governance and Conflict Resolution (closed event for elected officials and high-level administrators) (March 2009)
- Labor and Employment Law Forum (December 2008)
- International Conference on Chaos, Complexity, and Conflict (June 2008)
- Creating Cultures of Engagement in Health Care (June 2008)
- Professor Bernie Mayer was interviewed by Dave Hilton on the Conflict Specialist Show. You may listen to the archive here: http://www.conflictengagementspecialists.com/blog/engaging-conflict-vs-resolving-conflict-with-dr-bernie-mayer/
- Professor Noam Ebner was a co-Editor for a new book within the Rethinking Negotiation Teaching Series. This book is titled, Assessing Our Students, Assessing Ourselves.
- Dr. Jackie Font contributed a chapter to a book which just won the 2012 Madrid Mediators Association (AMMI) award for best publication in mediation. The book is Mediación y Resolución de Conflictos: Técnicas y Ámbitos, eds. Soleto-Muńoz, Carretero-Morales, and Ruiz-López. Madrid, Spain: Editorial Tecnos. Jackie?s chapter examines court-annexed mediation programs in the USA and Puerto Rico. This welcome international recognition should further extend the Werner Institute?s reputation.
- Professor Noam Ebner has posted a new book chapter on Negotiating via Email, which describes the major process and communication challenges this medium poses and some of the ways it can be used in a beneficial manner.
- Check out the latest Werner Institute blog post, The Nature of Conflict: Stepping into the Collective Space by adjunct faculty member Erick Hill.
ADRHub.com Monthly Webinars:
- Each month the Werner Institute and www.adrhub.com present a webinar with a distinguished speaker on a topic relevant to the field of ADR. These webinars are archived and may be viewed by clicking here.
- Healthcare Collaboration & Conflict Resolution with Laurie Miller Patterson
- Religious Diversity - Did You Know? with Benkong Shi, Arvind Kohli, Anindita Bhaumik, and Sarah Seeyd
- Transparent Mediation with Alan Gross
- The Five Percent: Finding Solutions to Seemingly Impossible Conflicts with Peter Coleman
- Business Marketing for Mediators with Susan Diehl
- Mediation of Mortgage Disputes-Trends and Opportunities with Michael Thompson