Department of Education

Teacher Certification

certification officer

April Buschelman EdD


Group of education students and faculty at career fair

State of Nebraska Certification

Nebraska has several different types of teacher certification available to students that are currently in an education or counseling program and to students that have completed an education or counseling program. Please visit the Nebraska Department of Education Teacher Certification page to see the different forms and applications you will need to complete in order to receive a certificate.

Nebraska requires each certificate holder to pass both the Praxis Core and the Praxis II (if applicable). Visit the Praxis Test Requirements to see the score needed in each subject area for Nebraska.

Non-Nebraska Certification

If you are looking to get certified in a different state, you will need to visit the respective state’s education department website for the application and forms. One of the forms will be an institutional verification form that will need to be filled out by both you (the applicant) and Creighton’s Director of Certification.

There are also different Praxis Requirements for each state. Be sure to check the test requirements for the state you are applying with.

Though not required in Nebraska, there are several states requiring the candidate to complete the EdTPA program and tests. Visit the EdTPA website to see if your state is participating in this program and the requirements of the program and test.


Although Creighton University accepts out-of-state students in its distance education programs involving licensure or certification, it does not imply, or guarantee recognition, or equivalency, and/or transfer to another state. Before seeking admission or beginning study in a distance education course or program involving licensure or certification, it is highly recommended applicants contact the applicable licensing board in the states in which they wish to pursue licensure.