Amanda J. Kirkpatrick, PhD, RN
Amanda J. Kirkpatrick, PhD, RN
College of Nursing, Omaha Campus
- Burn Intensive Care
- Palliative and End-of-Life Care
- Nursing Education and Simulation
- Nursing - Bachelors
- Associate Professor
Dr. Mandy Kirkpatrick is an Associate Professor at Creighton University College of Nursing in Omaha, NE where she has been faculty since 2013. Her research interests include simulation, interprofessional (IP) education, and palliative care (PC). Her doctoral research at Villanova University was in the area of interprofessional end-of-life simulation, funded by the Jonas Nurse Leader Scholar Program (2016-2018), Creighton's Haddix grant, and Sigma Theta Tau – Iota Tau Chapter (2016-2017). Mandy’s experience in working collaboratively with IP teams has led to the development of several successful projects and taskforces throughout her career, including simulation teams, course development, and interprofessional research. As a Macy Faculty Scholar (2019-2021), she aims to develop and disseminate virtual interprofessional simulation (VISion) using palliative care scenarios as an effective model for interprofessional education of distance students. Dr. Kirkpatrick’s has held leadership positions in local and national nursing and IP practice organizations. She has received recognition and awards for teaching excellence and scholarship, with regional, national, and international invitations to speak or consult on IP simulation and PC topics. Mandy is an active member of multiple nursing and interprofessional organizations and holds leadership positions on several committees. Her professional memberships include Sigma Theta Tau, ANA, NLN, AACN, HPNA, AIHC, INACSL and SSIH. Her simulation research has been disseminated in peer-reviewed publications and oral presentations nationally and internationally.
- , 73, 23-30
- , 16, 33-39
- , 40(4), 356-369
- , 13(9), 414-431
- , 57(6), 366-370
Research and Scholarship Interests
- Palliative Care, Interprofessional Education, Distance Simulation
Current Research Projects
- Macy Faculty Scholars Program (2019-2021): "Virtual Interprofessional Simulation: A “VISion” for the Future of Health Professions Education"
AAMC Fundamental Role of Arts and Humanities in Medical Education Grant Program (2021-2022): "Simulation to Assess Impact of a Health Equity-Focused Health Humanities Track in GME"
SSIH Distance Simulation Research Committee (2021-2023): "2023 Research Summit on Distance Simulation"
Other Scholarship: "IRB Exempt Study: Evaluation of Palliative Care
Competency Among Undergraduate Nursing Students Following Completion of ELNEC Course";
Manuscripts in process: Pilot results of an interprofessional palliative care course and distance simulation (2 manuscripts); Integrative reviews of virtual interprofessional simulations and interprofessional palliative care education studies (2 manuscripts); Effective practices and outcomes of a collaborative learning and leadership (1 manuscript)
Grant Funding Received
- Development of palliative care competence in undergraduate nursing students using simulation
- Dissertation Study: Development of palliative care competence in undergraduate nursing students using simulation
- Writing across the curriculum: How reliable is our standardized rubric?
- Spiritual Integration to Enhance Reflective Practice in the Creighton University Accelerated Nursing Program
- Community Health Nursing Clinical Immersion Experiences
- Interprofessional Team Development Through Virtual Palliative Care Simulations: Funding for Standardized Patients. Kirkpatrick, A. (PI), Chapple, H., Hercinger, M., Iverson, L., Jorgensen, D., Nystrom, K., Pick, A., Selig, C., Shirley, N., & Thinnes, A. Submitted January, 2019 for Faculty Research Grant from Creighton University Graduate School in the amount of $500. (Awarded $500)
- Interprofessional Team Development Through Virtual Palliative Care Simulations: Funding for Standardized Patients. Kirkpatrick, A. (PI), Chapple, H., Hercinger, M., Iverson, L., Jorgensen, D., Nystrom, K., Pick, A., Selig, C., Shirley, N., & Thinnes, A. Submitted September, 2019 for Faculty Research Grant from Creighton University College of Nursing in the amount of $500. (Awarded $500)
- Teacher of the Week, Delta Zeta Sorority, 2016
- Jonas Nurse Leaders Scholar Program, AACN & Villanova University, 2016
- 40 Under 40 Nurse Honoree for Nursing Leadership, Nebraska Action Coalition, 2014
- Teacher of the Week, Delta Zeta Sorority, 2013
- Positive Image of Nursing Award, Nebrasa Nurses Association, 2011
- Extraordinary Nurse Award, Nebraska Medical Center, 2008
- Outstanding New Nurse Award, Nebrasa Nurses Association, 2006
- BSN Scholarly Poster Award, Creighton University, 2005
- Magna Cum Laude, Creighton University, 2005