Laura L. Finken, PhD
College of Arts and Sciences
- Developmental Psychology
- Associate Professor
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln, M.A., Ph.D.
- Creighton University, B.A.
- Finken, L. L. (2006). Teaching controversial psychology topics: Teaching human sexuality. In S. Davis & B. Buskist (Eds.) The Handbook of the Teaching of Psychology (pp. 196-201). Malden, MA: Blackwell Publishing., Blackwell Publishing, 196-201, 2006
- Finken, L. L. The role of consultants in adolescents' decision making: A focus on abortion decisions, The development of judgment and decision making in children and adolescents, 255-278, 2005
- Khanna, Maya M., Brack, Amy S. B., Finken, Laura L. Short- and Long-Term Effects of Cumulative Finals on Student Learning, Teaching of Psychology, 40, 175-182, 2013
- Leak, Gary K., Finken, Laura L. The Relationship Between the Constructs of Religiousness and Prejudice: A Structural Equation Model Analysis, International Journal for the Psychology of Religion, 21, 43-62, 2011
- Finken, L. L. The complexity of student responses to in-class debates in a human sexuality course, Teaching of Psychology, 30, 263-265, 2003
- Finken, L. L., Cooney, R. R. A comparison of progressive and two-draft writing assignments in introductory psychology courses, Teaching of Psychology, 30, 246-248, 2003
- Osgood, D. W., Finken, L. L., McMorris, B. J. Analyzing multiple-item measures of crime and deviance II: Tobit regression analysis of transformed scores, Journal of Quantitative Criminology, 18, 319-347, 2002
- Leak, G. K., Finken, L. L., & Budesheim, T. L. (2016, May). A Construct-Focused Examination of the Relationships among Right-Wing Authoritarianism, Social Dominance Orientation, and Various Types of Prejudice. A presentation at the meeting of the Association for Psychological Science, Chicago, IL., 2016
- Budesheim, T. L., Finken, L. L., & Leak, G. K. (2014, November). A Socio-Functional Model of How Personality and Sex Differences Influence Perceived Threats, Emotional Reactions, and Behavioral Responses Toward Gay Men and Lesbians. Presented at the annual meeting of the Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality, Omaha, NE., 2014
- Leak, G. K., Ruchensky, J. & Finken, L. L. (2014, May). Validation of a Revised Measure of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. A presentation at the meeting of the Association for Psychological Science, San Francisco, CA., 2014
- Budesheim, T. L., Leak, G. K. & Finken, L. L. (2013, January). How stereotype content mediates the relationship between RWA, SDO, and prejudice. A presentation at the meeting of the Society for Personality and Social Psychology, New Orleans, LA., 2013
- Rogers, T., Luteran, S., Leak, G. K. & Finken, L. L. (2012, May). The relationship between two types of religious sexual orientation prejudice. A presentation at the meeting of the Midwestern Psychological Association, Chicago, IL., 2012
- Khanna, M. M., Laughlin, M., Badura Brack, A. S. & Finken, L. L. (2011, May). The impact of cumulative finals on long-term retention of course material. A presentation at the meeting of the Association for Psychological Science, Washington, D.C., 2011
Research and Scholarship Interests
- Decision Making, Adolescent Risk Taking, and the Social, Personality, and Cognitive Factors related to Sexual Orientation Prejudice
Grant Funding Received
- Khanna, M., Badura-Brack, A. & Finken, L. (2010). Summer research grant from the Office for Academic Excellence and Assessment at Creighton University.