Anne M. Schoening, PhD, RN, CNE
Coordinator, CON Faculty Development
College of Nursing
- Associate Professor
- Undergraduate: Obstetrics, clinical and classroom instruction; Senior preceptorship faculty; Graduate: DNP Project Chair, Committee Member, NUR 685
Dr. Schoening joined the faculty at Creighton University College of Nursing in 2003. She is a member of both the Undergraduate and Graduate Faculty, specializing in obstetrics. Her primary research interests include mental health during pregnancy and the postpartum period, new faculty transition, and the scholarship of teaching and learning. In addition to her teaching responsibilities, Dr. Schoening serves as Faculty Development Coordinator and Dedicated Education Unit Project Director for the College. She serves on the Editorial Board for the Journal of Perinatal and Neonatal Nursing and the Board of Directors for Hospice of Southwest Iowa. She is an active member and past Chair of the Nebraska Section of the Association of Women's Health, Obstetric, and Neonatal Nurses (AHWONN).
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln Educational Administration,PhD, 2009; University of Nebraska Medical Center, MSN, 2004; Clarkson College, BSN, 1993
CertificationsCertified Nurse Educator (CNE)
- Postpartum depression screening at well-child visits: A quality improvement project, Journal of Pediatric Healthcare, 2016
- Connect, change, conserve: Building a virtual center for teaching excellence, To Improve the Academy: A Journal of Educational Development, 32(2), 362-376, 2016
- Schoening, A. M., Selde, M. S., Goodman, J. T., Tow, J. C., Selig, C. L., Wichman, C., Cosimano, A., Galt, K. A. Implementing Collaborative Learning in Prelicensure Nursing Curricula: Student Perceptions and Learning Outcomes, Nurse Educator, 40, 183-188, 2015
- Schoening, Anne M. From Bedside to Classroom: The Nurse Educator Transition Model, Nursing Education Perspectives, 34, 167-172, 2013
- Rubarth, Lori B., Schoening, Anne M., Cosimano, Amy, Sandhurst, Holly Women's Experience of Hospitalized Bed Rest During High-Risk Pregnancy, JOGNN - Journal of Obstetric Gynecologic and Neonatal Nursing, 41, 398-407, 2012
- Schoening, A. M. Women and tenure: Closing the gap, Journal of Women in Educational Leadership, 7, 77-92, 2009
- Amniotic fluid embolism: Recognizing trouble, Nursing 2007, 37(1), 64ccl-64cc3, 2007
- Schoening, A. M., Sittner, B. J., Todd, M. J. Simulated clinical experience: nursing students' perceptions and the educators' role, Nurse Educator, 31, 253-258, 2006
- Schoening, A. M. Amniotic fluid embolism: Historical perspectives and new possibilities, MCN: The American Journal of Maternal-Child Nursing, 31, 78-83, 2006
- Schoening, A. M., Greenwood, J. L., McNichols, J. A., Heermann, J. A., Agrawal, S. Effect of an intimate partner violence educational program on the attitudes of nurses, JOGNN - Journal of Obstetric Gynecologic and Neonatal Nursing, 33, 572-579, 2004
Rusch L. M., Beiermann, T., Schoening, A.M., Slone, C. Flott, B., Manz, J., Miller, J. (In press; accepted for publication, 2017). Defining Roles and Expectations for Faculty, Nurses, & Students in a Dedicated Education Unit. Nurse Educator.
, Nurse Educator
- The journey from bedside to classroom: Making the transition from nurse to nurse educator, Dissertations & Thesis at University of Nebraska - Lincoln, 2009
Striegel, K., & Schoening, A.M. (2017). Improving Perinatal Maternal Mental Health: Development of a Psychosocial Risk Assessment and Treatment Program. Submitted March, 2017 to the Journal of Perinatal Education.
, Journal of Perinatal Education
- Rusch, L. Oertwich, O., Schoening, A.M., Hercinger, M., Manz, J., & McCafferty, K. (2015). Quantitative Outcomes of the DEU Clinical Teaching Model. American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) Baccalaureate Nursing Conference. Orlando, November, 2015
- Schoening, A.M., Chapman, T. & Oliver, S. (2014). Leveraging Resources to Create a Virtual Center for Teaching Excellence. Professional Organizational Development (POD Network) Annual Conference, Dallas, TX. November., 2014
- Schoening, A.M. Selde, M.S., Selig, C., Goodman, J., Tow, J., (2014). More than Just a Game: The Ups and Downs of Implementing Collaborative Learning. Eighth Annual International Conference on Teaching and Learning. Rochester, MI. May., 2014
- Schoening, A.M. & Costanzo, C. (2013). Discerning the Journey: Assessing Ignatian Values. Invited presentation to the faculty of Creighton University. Omaha, NE, October., 2013
- Schoening, A.M. & Brock, B.L. (2012). A Circle of Women: Teaching Future Leaders Online. Women in Educational Leadership Conference. Lincoln, NE. October., 2012
- Rubarth, L., Schoening, A.M., Cosimano, A., & Sandhurst, H. (2012). Research Symposium - Use of Online Support and NICU Education to Decrease Stress for Prenatal Patients on Bedrest: A Mixed Methods Approach. AWHONN National Conference. Washington D.C. June., 2012
- Schoening, A.M., Cosimano, A. & Selde, M.S. (2012). Ace, King, Queen: Pairing Problem-Based & Collaborative Learning. The Teaching Professor Conference. Washington. D.C. June., 2012
- Schoening, A.M. (2012). Interpreting exam performance: What do those stats mean anyway? Invited Presentation for School of Pharmacy & Health Faculty. Omaha, NE. February, 2012
- Rubarth, L., Schoening, A.M., Cosimano, A., & Sandhurst, H. (2011). Maternal Stressors During High Risk Pregnancy: Winning the War on Bed Rest. Nebraska AWHONN Fall Conference. Ashland, NE., 2011
- Rubarth, L., Schoening, A.M, Cosimano, A., & Sandhurst, H. (2011). Maternal Stressors During High Risk Pregnancy: Winning the War on Bed Rest. Nebraska AWHONN Fall Conference. Ashland, NE. October., 2011
- Rubarth, L. Cosimano, A. Sandhurst, H. & Schoening, A.M. (2010). Maternal Stressors while on Hospitalized Bedrest: A Pilot Study. Iota Tau Research Day, Omaha, NE. May., 2010
- Schoening, A.M. (2009). The Nurse Educator Transition Theory: Creating an Outcomes-Based New Faculty Orientation Program. National League for Nursing Education Summit, Philadelphia, PA. September., 2009
Research and Scholarship Interests
- mental health during pregnancy and the postpartum period new faculty transition scholarship of teaching and learning
Current Research Projects
- See above
Grant Funding Received
- Minnich, M. (PI), Kirkpatrick, A., Schoening, A., Goodman, J., & Whittaker, A. (2016). Writing Across the Curriculum: How Reliable is our Standardized Rubric? Funded for $1,809 by the Office of Academic Excellence and Assessment, Creighton University, January 2016-December 2016.
- Rusch, L., (PI), Schoening, A., Shirley, N., & Slone, C. Dedicated Education Units: Creating New Learning Environments. Funded for $375 by the Office of Academic Excellence and Assessment, Creighton University. January 2014-December 2014.
- Rubarth, L. (PI), Sandhurst, H., Schoening, A., Cosimano, A. (Co-Is). Use of Online Support and NICU Education to Decrease Stress for Prenatal Patients on Bedrest: A Pilot Study. Funded for $18,033 by the Health Futures Foundation for Faculty Development Award. July, 2010-June, 2012.
- Rubarth, L. (PI), Sandhurst, H., Schoening, A., Cosimano, A. (Co-Is) Use of online support and NICU education to decrease stress for prenatal patients on bedrest – A pilot study. Association of Women’s Health, Obstetric & Neonatal Nurses (AWHONN) Research Grant – Hill-Rom, Celeste Phillips Family Centered Maternity Care Award, Funded for $10,000. June, 2010-Sept, 2011.
- Ball, S. (PI), Panning, M., Miller, J., Schoening, A, Koziol, D, McCafferty, K, Selig, C., Murcek, C., Fukuda, E., Koster, E. (2017). The Use of Augmented Reality Photospheres in the College of Nursing to Decrease Student Anxiety. Funded for $760 by the Office of Academic Excellence and Assessment, Creighton University, January 2017-December 2017.
- Minnich, M. (PI), Schoening, A.M. (Co-I). Public health nursing Dedicated Education Unit for clinical education. Submitted to the Association of Community Health Nursing Educators for $2460, February, 2017.