Expense Reimbursement

Expense Reimbursement - TER/Direct Deposit FAQ's

The IRS allows Creighton University to reimburse employees for travel and other business expenses under their definition of an “accountable plan” so as a result, travel and other business expense reimbursements do not have to be reported as income to the traveler/reimbursee. Under the accountable plan, travel advances and reimbursement of business expenses must meet three requirements:

  1. Those seeking reimbursement for business and travel expenses must provide a Travel Expense Report (or TER) substantiating the amount, time, use, and business purpose of expenses within 60 days after the expenses are incurred. Original receipts must be attached to the TER.   If you are charging an expense to a grant fund, all receipts are required.  See Documentation Requirements for TER
  2. Advances must be made for business meal expenses only and must be reasonably related to the expenses the University is expected to incur.
  3. Employees must return any advance amounts in excess of substantiated expenses after completion of the trip.  See Travel Advance Information