Faculty / Staff Individual International Travel

Faculty / Staff Individual International Travel

Please follow these steps to make sure you have covered all University requirements.

EVERY individual trip must be registered separately. Please note that compliance with ALL these steps is MANDATORY as indicated in the travel policy linked below.

1. Review Creighton University's Travel Policy

All travel sponsored, organized, facilitated or encouraged by Creighton University must be under the oversight of an administrative unit of the University.

2. Review Export Control Compliance Regulations

United States export and trade regulations impose controls over numerous University activities, including the performance of certain research. For example, the transfer of export-controlled information or source code to a foreign national in the U.S. is a deemed export and may require an export license. The consequences of violating the regulations are potentially extremely severe, and can be extended to the involved individuals as well as to the University.

Carrying controlled equipment or technical data overseas is considered an export, so travelers should be very careful when considering what kind of papers and computer storage media will accompany them on a trip.  It is also considered an export to use personal knowledge or technical expertise that is export controlled when abroad. 

US Customs has the right to search electronic files on a computer when leaving or returning to the US, so make sure to check for compliance prior to leaving on a trip.

It is also illegal to work or engage with entities that participate in the boycott of Israel.  This list potentially includes Iraq, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, United Arab Emirates and the Republic of Yemen.

Please review the following information before finalizing your travel plans:

3. Complete S.T.E.P. Registration

The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a free service that allows U.S. citizens and nationals traveling abroad to register their trip with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate and receive travel alerts and warnings as well as emergency information during the trip.

4. Register your trip and obtain supplemental travel insurance

Below the link to the combined trip registration and mandatory supplemental travel insurance enrollment form are details about the insurance and travel warnings.  Please review before completing the form.


Registering your trip helps us make sure you are covered under the University's liability insurance and to continually negotiate for the best coverage.  We are required to report the type of travel completed each year in order to predict future coverage needs.

Please contact René Padilla at RenePadilla@creighton.edu or X4745 if the U.S. State Department has issued a travel warning for any of the countries you plan to visit so we can determine if any additional risk waivers will be needed.

The following countries that are under U.S. State Department Travel Alerts & Warnings are ineligible for travel and NOT covered under the University's underwriter or the mandatory supplemental insurance:
Afghanistan, Burundi, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo, Eritrea, El Salvador, Guinea, Haiti, Honduras, Iran, Iraq, Kenya, Lebanon. Libya, Mali, Niger, North Korea, Pakistan, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Sudan, Syria, Venezuela and Yemen.

Traveling to the following countries under Creighton University auspices is cautionary and will require special wavers.  Please contact the Global Engagement Office if you are considering travel to:
Algeria, Belize, Colombia, Israel / the West Bank / Gaza, Mauritania, Mexico, Nigeria, Philippines, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, and Ukraine.


Review the CISI travel insurance policy well before departing.  Know how to file claims for reimbursements on health care expenses.  In serious health emergencies, the local U.S. Embassy may be helpful to you. Once enrolled, travelers will have access to the myCISI Mobile App for emergency contact information, coverage details, claims assistance, and more. A guide to the myCISI Mobile App is available HERE.

All travelers should maintain primary health insurance coverage while abroad. The travel insurance offered by the GEO is a mandatory supplemental policy. It is the responsibility of all travelers to check with the embassy/consulate of the host country to determine if travel insurance is required in order to obtain a visa to enter the host country. If needed for visa purposes, you can obtain a letter verifying your insurance policy by e-mailing JoEllenNewell@creighton.edu.

5. Voluntary Air Travel Mitigation FUND

Creighton University members recognize the challenges of climate change and make efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions (GHG), especially those from business related travel.

See details for this VOLUNTARY program HERE



Page was updated on March 4, 2020.